UW women’s soccer player Rose Lavelle earns USWNT call-up

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
453709800-150x150.jpg

MADISON, Wis. – Wisconsin women’s soccer junior midfielder Rose Lavelle has become one of the best players in college soccer. Now, she’s beginning to be regarded as one of the best at any level.

On Tuesday, Lavelle was called up to the full United States Women’s National Team by head coach Jill Ellis to take part in the Victory Tour with the Women’s World Cup champion for its final four matches of the tour in December.

It marked the first call-up to the senior squad for the Cincinnati, Ohio, native. She is one of eight players named to the roster who were not members of the 2015 Women’s World Cup winning team.

“I’m very excited to have the opportunity to represent the United States again and at such a high level,” Lavelle said. “I think I’m most excited to have the opportunity to play and learn from such great players. They’re coming off a World Cup title, so the environment, the training and seeing how professional they are is going to be something really great that I can learn from.

“Obviously, since I was little I always dreamt of this. It’s a little surreal that it’s actually happening. It hasn’t really hit me yet. But, once I’m around the team and in the training environment I’m sure the emotions will start to set in.”

Lavelle was one of only two college players called up, joined by University of Virginia senior defender Emily Sonnett.

Wisconsin head coach Paula Wilkins coached four players who competed at the World Cup this past summer in Ali Krieger and Alyssa Naeher of the United States, as well as Carmelina Moscato and Erin McLeod of Canada.

“We’re really proud of Rose,” Wilkins said. “She’s worked very hard for this and it’s good to see that all the effort she’s put in is beginning to pay off for her. It’s been great watching Rose learn and develop with the U.S. youth teams, so we’re excited to see what’s next for her now that she’s gotten called up by the full national team.”

One of the top players for the USA at the 2014 Under-20 Women’s World Cup, Lavelle has become an up-and-coming name in the U.S. program. The 20-year-old midfielder most recently led the U.S. U-23 Women’s National Team to a title at the 2015 Four Nations Tournament in Norway. She was a finalist for the 2014 U.S. Soccer Young Female Athlete of the Year.

The 2015 Big Ten Midfielder of the Year had a breakout season offensively for Wisconsin this year, recording a team-leading 17 points on seven goals and three assists. Lavelle is currently on the 2015 MAC Hermann Trophy watch list, an award that recognizes the top individual player in college soccer. Lavelle became an All-American as a sophomore in 2014 and was Big Ten Freshman of the Year in 2013.

The U.S. will take on Trinidad & Tobago on Dec. 6 in Honolulu, Hawaii (7 p.m. CT on FOX Sports 1) and Dec. 10 in San Antonio, Texas (8 p.m. CT on ESPN2), before finishing with matches against China PR on Dec. 13 in Glendale, Arizona (6 p.m. CT on ESPN2), and Dec. 16 in New Orleans (7 p.m. CT on FOX Sports 1).

The full 28-player roster announced by the U.S. Women’s National Team is below.

U.S. Women’s National Team Roster by Position:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Ashlyn Harris (Orlando Pride), Alyssa Naeher (Chicago Red Stars), Hope Solo (Seattle Reign FC)

DEFENDERS (10): Crystal Dunn (Washington Spirit), Whitney Engen (Boston Breakers), Jaelene Hinkle (Western NY Flash), Julie Johnston (Chicago Red Stars), Meghan Klingenberg (Portland Thorns FC), Ali Krieger (Washington Spirit), Kelley O’Hara (Sky Blue FC), Christie Rampone (Sky Blue FC), Becky Sauerbrunn (FC Kansas City), Emily Sonnett (Univ. of Virginia)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Morgan Brian (Houston Dash), Danielle Colaprico (Chicago Red Stars), Tobin Heath (Portland Thorns FC), Rose Lavelle (Wisconsin), Carli Lloyd (Houston Dash), Samantha Mewis (Western NY Flash), Heather O’Reilly (FC Kansas City), Megan Rapinoe (Seattle Reign FC)

FORWARDS (7): Lindsey Horan (PSG), Sydney Leroux (Western NY Flash), Stephanie McCaffrey (Boston Breakers), Alex Morgan (Orlando Pride), Christen Press (Chicago Red Stars), Amy Rodriguez (FC Kansas City), Abby Wambach (unattached)

(courtesy UW athletic communications)

The post UW women’s soccer player Rose Lavelle earns USWNT call-up appeared first on Madtown Badgers.

Continue reading...

Back