UW lands likely last piece of 2017 recruiting class in Detroit S Scott Nelson

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
The University of Wisconsin’s 2017 recruiting class has limited numbers and that made getting this class together a bit easier. However, it took awhile to find the final piece to the puzzle.

Just under a month from national signing day, Wisconsin got its likely final commitment of the 2017 class in safety Scott Nelson. The news was first reported by our recruiting partners at Badger247.

The 3-star prospect out of Detroit, Mich. (Jesuit) was down to Iowa and Wisconsin in the final months leading up to decision day. However, the pull to Wisconsin was always strong and it was the place he apparently felt the most at home at.

His high school head coach, Oscar , had the following to say about Nelson’s commitment to the Badgers per Badger247:

“I think that’s where he felt most comfortable with the school and staff. I know the staff had a lot to do with it and the players he felt really comfortable with those players.”

Nelson comes to the Badgers as the No. 30 ranked safety in the class by 247Sports, but is the No. 59 ranked safety and No. 15 player in the state of Michigan according to the 247Sports composite rankings.

He is also the 16th player to give a verbal pledge to Wisconsin. As of now, only Jack Coan is on campus as an early enrollee, but that could change as things get closer to starting up for the University of Wisconsin’s second semester.

With Nelson’s commitment, the Badgers moved up to No. 38 in the national rankings (from No. 44 previously) and are No. 8 in the Big Ten (flipping spots with Northwestern).

That final number may be alarming to some, but consider the fact that Wisconsin’s class limits are the smallest in the Big Ten and these rankings being based off points, this was always going to happen. UW’s average player rating of 85.55 would put them dead in the middle of the pack.

It should be a pretty smooth ride to national signing day in Madison as there doesn’t appear to be any staff turnover for a change. That likely means commitments to UW are firm at this point in time and all that is left is the wait for the fax machine to finally get some use.

b.gif

Continue reading...

Wonder if that means anything regarding Zaire's decision. Has he maybe told the UW coaches soemthing? Now that Trubisky declared for the draft, I'm thinking Zaire ends up at N.Car. There was some speculation on a Badger dedicated site I lurk at that there was only one scholly left at UW and now that Nelson has committed Zaire may not even be a possibility.

Wonder if that means anything regarding Zaire's decision. Has he maybe told the UW coaches soemthing? Now that Trubisky declared for the draft, I'm thinking Zaire ends up at N.Car. There was some speculation on a Badger dedicated site I lurk at that there was only one scholly left at UW and now that Nelson has committed Zaire may not even be a possibility.

Zaire isn't going to come to UW to be part of a 2-QB system when he can go to UNC and be the man.

The question is now is whether he'll make an announcement soon enough to enroll for spring semester. That was his original plan, then he said he wouldn't decide until March.

Not to disparage Horni, but if Zaire came to UW, there might not be a 2-QB system. It's not like Chryst wants a 2-QB system. I'm sure he'd rather settle on one. Only reason it happened this year is because neither QB really seized the job and both had major shortcomings at points during the season.

If Zaire came and beat out Horni, it's likely he'd get 80-90% of the snaps and Horni only sees the field in mop-up situations or in the event of an injury. Of course he'd have to beat him out. At N.C. it sounds like that is not even a concern and he'll pretty much be handed the job. It's probably his best option.

Hornibrook was hand picked as PC starting QB BEFORE he was the HC at UW folks... he committed to Pitt and came to UW with PC. Zaire was going to North Carolina day 1 and used UW as leverage.

UW issue is that 's WR are not that talented thus it's tough on QB. Getting some better WR talent and giving Joe R another yr with the OL should pay dividends. ( GA left us bare in both areas.. you gotta give PC this class and the next to re-inject talent to be fair )

Back