Tonyan Among Most Likely First-Time Pro Bowlers

B

Bill Huber

Here are 10 non-rookie candidates to reach their first Pro Bowl during the 2021 NFL season.

GREEN BAY, Wis. – Last season, the Green Bay Packers had seven players selected to the Pro Bowl – a number matched only by the Kansas City Chiefs. Six were starters, their most since they had eight in 1967 – the final season of Vince Lombardi’s Glory Years teams.

There was one obvious snub, and that player is listed among 10 players who could earn first-time Pro Bowl accolades in 2021.

In his list, Sports Illustrated’s Conor Orr included tight end Robert Tonyan.

“Tonyan was grossly overlooked a year ago, despite scoring double-digit touchdowns and flashing absolute mastery in the red zone,” Orr wrote. “While Aaron Rodgers’s inevitable, begrudging return weighs heavily on this bet, Tonyan has married himself to a scheme that provided some brilliant opportunities, including the second most average separation per route run (more than four yards). That shouldn’t be going away any time soon, and while he may not score 11 touchdowns this year, he will score enough with the eyes of the football world on him to make up for the snub.”

Tonyan topped the Next Gen Stats’ list of top pass catchers in the NFL in 2020. His expected catch rate in 2020 was 71.4 percent. He crushed that by catching 88.1 percent of passes. That 16.7 percent difference was No. 1 in the league last season and the second-best in Next Gen Stats’ five seasons.

“Tonyan generated 4.2 yards of separation per target in 2020, the second-most of any player since 2016,” NFL.com’s Nick Shook wrote.

Tonyan had 14 receptions in his first two seasons but 11 touchdowns in 2020. Of the 34 tight ends who were targeted at least 40 times in the passing game, Tonyan was No. 1 in catch percentage (89.7), drop percentage (0.0) and passer rating (148.3), according to Pro Football Focus. In the bizarro world that is Pro Bowl voting, he lost out to the Giants’ Evan Engram, who had more receptions (63) and yards (654) but lagged far behind in touchdowns (one), catch percentage (61.8), drop percentage (11.3) and passer rating (59.8).

“He’s probably progressed as much as any player we’ve had in the two years,” coach Matt LaFleur said last month. “I know he had a really good season last year and I think there’s still more there for him. I think he’s still learning the position and he continues to get better and better. I love his attitude, I love his work ethic, I think he’s really confident right now. Right now is just a great time for us to experiment with him on different routes, so hopefully we can feature him a little bit more in our offense next season.”

Continue reading...

Reactions: TW
He has a good shot at making the Pro Bowl. He's that talented. It remains to be seen who the QB is, and how that translates into Tonyan's play. We know the chemistry between him and Rodgers, but not with Love.

He has a good shot at making the Pro Bowl. He's that talented. It remains to be seen who the QB is, and how that translates into Tonyan's play. We know the chemistry between him and Rodgers, but not with Love.
I want to see if Tonyan can step up this year become a all around player while he was great in the redzone I want him to do it everywhere on the field. Also if Love starts does he take a step back because he won't have a all-pro QB throwing to him.

Reactions: TW
If Tonyan can maintain his separation ratio he will be plenty open to catch passes from anyone.
And he had the best receiving hands in football last year, so I like his chances.
ML also said they are going to expand on ways to get him the ball.

There is a lesson here. Tonyan is not the most talented. He isn't going to blow you away on that front.

But what Tonyan did do was come in and in the words of Darth Belichik "did his job". He wasnt successful because of outstanding talent. He was successful because he came in, knew his place, and did his job.

That's the beauty of the ML scheme you don't have to be elite talent to succeed if you understand your role...

There is a lesson here. Tonyan is not the most talented. He isn't going to blow you away on that front.

But what Tonyan did do was come in and in the words of Darth Belichik "did his job". He wasnt successful because of outstanding talent. He was successful because he came in, knew his place, and did his job.

That's the beauty of the ML scheme you don't have to be elite talent to succeed if you understand your role...
very true, and I think that in this system the sum of the parts is more valuable than one individual who can dominate a game

Though lets see if he can do his job with a QB who is pretty much a rookie

I want to see if Tonyan can step up this year become a all around player while he was great in the redzone I want him to do it everywhere on the field.

you keep saying things like this, and i keep pointing out the fact that tonyan only caught 10 passes on plays that started in the redzone. he caught 42 passes on plays that started outside the redzone - including 25 passes on plays that started on the packers own side of the field. in fact, he had his best average yards per catch on plays that started inside the packers own 20 yard line (27.3 yds/catch). your contention that he was only great in the redzone is just pure rubbish.

you keep saying things like this, and i keep pointing out the fact that tonyan only caught 10 passes on plays that started in the redzone. he caught 42 passes on plays that started outside the redzone - including 25 passes on plays that started on the packers own side of the field. in fact, he had his best average yards per catch on plays that started inside the packers own 20 yard line (27.3 yds/catch). your contention that he was only great in the redzone is just pure rubbish.
I am not sold he's a compelte TE I still say he's a guy who racks up TD' because he's most a redzone threat I don't think he's a top elite TE yet.

Back