Time to fire Greg Gard?

TW

Reaction score
With the Badgers on a losing streak, the chants to fire Gard as HC in basketball has started. It doesn't help much that the football program just went through a major come to Jesus moment. It's left people thinking that maybe, just maybe, McIntosh can find another Fickell type, in the basketball world, who can turn Wisconsin into something really special.

Me? I dunno. I though Gard did a good job getting them off and running this year. This streak isn't all on him.

But then, again, you know how things are in college sports. Things can happen. And we need to remember that last year, there were some issues in the locker room.

Nothing like starting rumors. ;)

Not time to fire Gard yet, but the seat needs to be getting warmer. He just won a share of the Big-10 title last year. Had Hepburn not been injured and Johnny Davis hobbled a bit for the tournament, they might have gone deeper.

To me the measuring stick needs to be 2023-24. First, he's bringing in a decent recruiting class for next fall. Let's see how they look. Plus, they are looking at a bigger class with some high in-state talent for the 2024 class. If he can't bring in a really good class in 2024 then the seat needs to really heat up.

Reactions: TW
Not time to fire Gard yet, but the seat needs to be getting warmer. He just won a share of the Big-10 title last year. Had Hepburn not been injured and Johnny Davis hobbled a bit for the tournament, they might have gone deeper.

To me the measuring stick needs to be 2023-24. First, he's bringing in a decent recruiting class for next fall. Let's see how they look. Plus, they are looking at a bigger class with some high in-state talent for the 2024 class. If he can't bring in a really good class in 2024 then the seat needs to really heat up.
Well said. I think he deserves that much respect based on what he's done to this point. Their winning early this year wasn't really expected by too many people. They may have very well exceeded their true potential by quite a bit. There is no depth on the roster to give them replacement when one of their top 3 or 4 players goes out injured.

Back