The State of the Programs -- Football and Basketball

FlaPack

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
With the Michigan HC hoops job now open and some of the natives a bit restless with Chryst and Gard, how would you rate both UW jobs both nationally and in the B1G. Take into consideration program history, academics, recruiting base, alumni/ booster support…if I missed something let add. My takes

FOOTBALL
Nationally. Top 25 B1G #5
History
Since Barry the program has been as consistent as any in the county, solid yet unspectacular. We may have been a bit jaded by the Wilson year and many years it overachieved.

Academics

The 10,000-pound gorilla in the room. It’s not Purdue or Northwestern but things have tightened up over the past 5-7 years.

Recruiting Base

Limited when you consider skill positions but solid for OL and defense.

Alumni/Booster Support
Average. While loyal the deep pockets are not there. Hard to get a big name and paying a staff will always be an issue

BASKETBALL
Nationally. Top 25 B1G #6
History
Sans the FF runs solid and consistent would fit best. Had a few Elite 8 runs but even under Bo more than our share of NCAA disappointments

Academics

The 10,000-pound gorilla in the room. See Football

Recruiting Base

Limited. Sure Dekker, Baldwin and Johnson were / are national recruits, but the core is still guys like Gasser and maybe Koenig. Solid 4 year “program guys” with a few exceptions like Dekker and Harris who left early

Alumni/Booster Support
Average. Kohl Center is packed, deep pockets are not there.

I think you summed it up well. WI has been winning for a good long while. Folks should have been around in the late 70's and 80's when both teams sucked...bad. Wait...where does that sound familiarsh))

Back