the one and only highlight of family night that i could find on youtube so far

war of attrition. yeah, i'll buy that. not a marathon.
My point was re: marathon it’s not how you start it’s how you finish. Fans and the media put way to much emphasis on the first 3 weeks, both positive and negative

My point was re: marathon it’s not how you start it’s how you finish. Fans and the media put way to much emphasis on the first 3 weeks, both positive and negative

three games is about 20% of the season. three bad games to start the season in baseball or basketball is meaningless. but in football, it could derail the season before we even get started.

this is from an article that was written three weeks into the 2018 season:

"History shows that only five out of 173 teams (2.8 percent) to start 0-3 since 1980 have rallied to make the playoffs. It hasn't been done in 20 years and only three times since the NFL went to a 12-team playoff format in 1990. Since the current division alignment went into effect in 2002, no 0-3 team has rallied to make the postseason."

conversely, a team that starts 3-0 has a 90% chance of making the playoffs. sure thee are notable exceptions. usually it's the result of injuries to key players.

three games is about 20% of the season. three bad games to start the season in baseball or basketball is meaningless. but in football, it could derail the season before we even get started.

this is from an article that was written three weeks into the 2018 season:

"History shows that only five out of 173 teams (2.8 percent) to start 0-3 since 1980 have rallied to make the playoffs. It hasn't been done in 20 years and only three times since the NFL went to a 12-team playoff format in 1990. Since the current division alignment went into effect in 2002, no 0-3 team has rallied to make the postseason."

conversely, a team that starts 3-0 has a 90% chance of making the playoffs. sure thee are notable exceptions. usually it's the result of injuries to key players.
I didn’t mention records. It’s how your playing. Sure if your 0-3 there are reasons for concern but chances if your 0-3 you were overrated anyway. People would panic if this team went 1-2 or even 2-1 based on not wins/losses but scoring margin or quality of play

Personally what’s hurt the process is only 1 cutdown day. You now have a max roster until 8/31 not staggered. More player evaluation vs regular season prep.

Back