The Kickers

TW

Reaction score
Is it going to be about money? If the Packers cut Crosby, and his $4.8 mill contract, they pay a little over $1 mill in dead cap. Fickens is signed for about $500k. That means the Packers can end up with about $3 mill in additional cap room.

Don't be surprised if the Packers either cut Crosby, or try to trade him for a pick, because money to move ahead is extremely important.

From everything I've heard, it's nearly a dead heat between the two in camp, overall, and that $3 mill looks larger every day.

Just thinking out loud here. Packer Contracts

I understand the logic but man, I think it'd be foolish to make this particular decision based on money. If they were able to trade for that stud kicker from Baltimore, fine. But to cut Crosby to save a couple bucks and hand the job to either this guy or someone they grab after final cuts is just nuts. Mason has had his disappointing moments in recent years but how many things does a new HC need to worry about? A new kicker missing kicks week in and week out could cost jobs here.

nobody is going to trade for his contact and since he is in the last year or his deal the $3m does not mean much, now if he was under contract next year that's a different discussion. Unless he's injured he stays

nobody is going to trade for his contact and since he is in the last year or his deal the $3m does not mean much, now if he was under contract next year that's a different discussion. Unless he's injured he stays
Agreed.

Unless he's injured he stays

i agree. $3 million is almost meaningless in today's nfl. but i do think the packers are auditioning kickers to potentially replace mason if his calf injury is worse than they thought or his kicking has significantly deteriorated. if crosby is no better than ficken, why pay the extra 2+ million?

i agree. $3 million is almost meaningless in today's nfl. but i do think the packers are auditioning kickers to potentially replace mason if his calf injury is worse than they thought or his kicking has significantly deteriorated. if crosby is no better than ficken, why pay the extra 2+ million?

Ficken is nothing more than a camp leg to keep Crosby fresh. Crosby has been razor sharp since returning.

Ficken is nothing more than a camp leg to keep Crosby fresh. Crosby has been razor sharp since returning.

That pretty much sums up my belief. Strictly camp competition. Yet, I always think about the money in relation to the cap.

Crosby has not really missed since he came back. Ficken has missed, what 6 kicks? There is no contest at this point.

I do agree they are auditioning to replace him, though. My only thing would be, kickers can go until they are in their 40's. If Crosby has a good year, why would you not resign him? It is tough to find a good kicker, aka the Vikings and the Bears.

The time to replace Crosby is coming but I don't think it's this year and it won't be because of his contract. They have nobody to sign other than Martinez and his deal is easily done with the CAP they have right now. Even if they redo Clark's deal early, it can be fit in at this point with the right structure. I would expect next off-season will be when kicker gets dealt with. If Crosby is solid all year they may bring him back on a short term deal. If not, they'll be looking for, and may even draft, a replacement.

Ficken besides the big family night kick of 63 yards has not been impressive in camp.

Back