The Issues With Front Office Structure in The NFL - Should HC get full control?

FlaPack

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I think in the very near future we may see a trend where the HC gets 100% control. This year we had 8 HC fired, zero GM's unless you consider the restructure in Miami. So where is the REAL problem? Is it x's and o's or is it building the best roster based on need, cap, and existing roster? Probably in reality a little of both but it's clear that accountability at the NFL level is one dimensional, fire the HC and things will get fixed. Well history tells us thats not the answer. Maybe its not necessary title but in NE its clear who runs the show, and results speak for itself. And the pool of candidates is not deep or strong. Do you really think there are 8 guys interviewing now that will turn a program around? easy answer no. Will full control entice some big time successful college guys to make the jump? Maybe. Would a Saban, or Sweeney, or Rlley take the risk unless they had control or some sort of major input? I doubt it.

While the league is in good shape talent wise, ratings wise and like it or not parity, the league desparelty needs an influx of coaching talent

Simple answer No. Not just no hell no. We tried that once blew up big time. I am not even considering this set up anytime soon myself.

I think the issue you are pointing out - is the GM/front office securing the talent that the coach needs to implement his schemes? I guess I'm agreeing with you to a point, but I think it's quite obvious that if the GM is not providing the talent that the head coach needs and/or asks for, then that is on the GM. However, if the GM/front office is providing what the Head coach requests, and the team is not successful, then that is on the Coach. I think the view in Green Bay is that TT was not working with the coaching staff and doing his own thing - that would be the exception in the NFL, not the rule (and I still have my doubts that TT acted as independently as has been reported). Where I agree is that it's obvious the BB knows what players he needs, and is able to communicate that to the front office for them to secure viable replacements. I'm not so certain that MM and his staff were anywhere near the level of BB, in that sort of communication OR coaching up the players that were provided.

My feelings are based around the example of what we saw with Sherman. When the "coach" becomes desperate, the "GM inside" starts spending wildly, in hopes of saving the coach's job. When you have the two positions separate, you can keep that in check. Also, it gives you more points of view when it comes to who should be drafted, or signed as free agents.

Then there's the issue of time management. A coach who spends all his time dealing with GM duties doesn't coach too well, and vice versa. Add in the issue of dealing with contracts, and the rub that can develop between the club and player. Coaches and players can carry grudges on that end, onto the field.

This is an excellent discussion point though. It sure couldn't be any worse than the 3 headed monster the Packers have now.

I don’t think a HC should also be the GM. I agree with the time management issue and emotional/knee jerk decisions.

But what if you had a GM/personnel guy working under/for a HC?

I know that current day GM’s would bury me in a shallow grave somewhere outside Las Vegas for saying that.

But just spitballing here!

I don’t think a HC should also be the GM. I agree with the time management issue and emotional/knee jerk decisions.

I know that current day GM’s would bury me in a shallow grave somewhere outside Las Vegas for saying that.

Got that in Oakland right now. Mayock is a GM in name only hired to help with the draft and doubt he has much if any power outside of that.

I see them more as "equals". I know this is not what people here want to hear because of their assessment of Murphy, but both the GM and the HC should report to the President, who should be able to assess how well they are doing. They work together for the common goals of a) putting the best possible product (players) on the team, and then the HC implements the strategy of making that product successful. The GM is like a COO and the HC is like the VP of Sales - just like any "business" out there; you need all aspects of the team to work together. If one area fails, they all fail.

I agree Howard that it "can" work but you have to have the right person(s). It works if the owner/president/whatever is getting input at the 30,000ft level. The problem is that some of them can't resist the urge to dive down to 5,000ft and look at things in detail. That's when meddling owners and others mess things up.

If the structure is more like - let's meet individually and as a group every 2-4 weeks and talk about the state of the team and what's working and what's not - that might work. If you are meeting often and discussing specific players and coaches then there is too much temptation for the guy in charge to step in and take sides and micromanage.

So, if the coach goes to Murphy to say he needs the GM to get him certain specific o-line guys in FA, then Murphy needs to be smart enough to say - that's what we pay you and Gute to do. Go talk to him and figure it out. What's his plan and how does he see things. Murphy needs to be smart enough to not let himself get tangled up in low level stuff.

Not quite sure where Murphy is at right now. So far you haven't really seen any obvious low level meddling other than being a part of firing MM and hiring a new HC, which isn't unreasonable. Let's see if he starts messing around with FA and assistant coach hires, things that are much more clearly a part of Gute's or the HCs job description. If that kind of crap starts happening - forget it, we're done for a while.

Simple answer No. Not just no hell no. We tried that once blew up big time. I am not even considering this set up anytime soon myself.
No easy answer. For majority of the time answer is yes, but are exceptions to the rule.

Still though have to have a super strong scouting staff in place that they trust and someone to handle the business side.

Back