Take me back to the 70s and 80s!

A couple of points.

Prior to Harlan it was run by BOD. Only way Harlan took job was if BOD gave him 100% control and only way Wolf took job was if he had 100% control of football side business.

Prior to Harlan many believe BOD only cared about bottom line and stands full more then winning.

As for Sherman, that wasn't solely on Harlan. That was made by both Wolf and Harlan, wanting to keep things intact and both admitted years later it was a mistake for one person to have GM and HC and also though he tried, Sherman was in over his head.

I agree Terra that Wolf was part of the problem because he viewed Sherman as a promising coach and IMO put the idea in Harlan's head that if he hired a new GM that Sherman might have to go if a new GM was given full authority.

Ultimately though this was Harlan's call. WOlf had no power what so ever to hire a new GM. Harlan had sole authority to make that call and in a moment of weakness gave in to the idea of a dual role guy. A move of convenience to keep the current coach and staff in place. Time proved it was the wrong call.

I felt bad for Starr. He was put in a can't win situation IMO. He had no GM experience, and should have focused solely on Head Coach where he had almost no experience (one year as QB coach for Hunter under Devine, when the Packers won the NFCC division title). He was an emotional hire talked into inheriting Dan Devine's mess including the loss of several top draft picks for years due to the worst NFL trade in history. Starr also had BAD luck with the #1 picks he had - Clark to CFL, Ivery injured his first game, Lewis neck injury to end career, Koncar injuries, Anderson done after rookie year due to successive broken arms, trading for Jefferson to see him become an average WR, Butler to USFL. Then, when the team started to show signs of life, he was fired for being too nice of a guy for a Head Coach which was remedied by the hire of Forrest Gregg, lol!

Harlan was a genius for his hire of Ron Wolf, both who turned around a team infamous as that place other Head Coaches threatened to send their poor performers to! It will be interesting to see how Murphy and Gute navigate us through the next few years.

I felt bad for Starr. He was put in a can't win situation IMO. He had no GM experience, and should have focused solely on Head Coach where he had almost no experience (one year as QB coach for Hunter under Devine, when the Packers won the NFCC division title). He was an emotional hire talked into inheriting Dan Devine's mess including the loss of several top draft picks for years due to the worst NFL trade in history. Starr also had BAD luck with the #1 picks he had - Clark to CFL, Ivery injured his first game, Lewis neck injury to end career, Koncar injuries, Anderson done after rookie year due to successive broken arms, trading for Jefferson to see him become an average WR, Butler to USFL. Then, when the team started to show signs of life, he was fired for being too nice of a guy for a Head Coach which was remedied by the hire of Forrest Gregg, lol!

Harlan was a genius for his hire of Ron Wolf, both who turned around a team infamous as that place other Head Coaches threatened to send their poor performers to! It will be interesting to see how Murphy and Gute navigate us through the next few years.

Good summation, of the Starr years, oak. It's always good to look back and evaluate through a different lens.

Forrest Gregg was hired partly because it was felt the team got too complacent under Starr's "niceness". I recall a story of Gregg but can't find on the 'net. It went something like this...

Forrest Gregg was known for his rants. When he screamed at you, and he did so often, it put the fear of God in you. One day during one of his infamous screaming rants during a team meeting a young Packer raises his hand and asks, "Coach, why does your face twitch like that when you yell?" The whole room went deathly silent, lol!!!

That's about all I remember. Not sure of Gregg's response. TW, do you recall that one?

Last edited:
Forrest Gregg was hired partly because it was felt the team got too complacent under Starr's "niceness". I recall a story of Gregg but can't find on the 'net. It went something like this...

Forrest Gregg was known for his rants. When he screamed at you, and he did so often, it put the fear of God in you. One day during one of his infamous screaming rants during a team meeting a young Packer raises his hand and asks, "Coach, why does your face twitch like that when you yell?" The whole room went deathly silent, lol!!!

That's about all I remember. Not sure of Gregg's response. TW, do you recall that one?

OMG! I forgot about that one. Frank Neal. A wide receiver. I think he had one season in Green Bay, maybe two? He could actually hang onto a football. Gregg would get so mad when anything went wrong, no matter where it was, that he'd get this face twitch. Someone told me they even saw it in a Green Bay restaurant, where he thought he'd sat too long, waiting for service. He was always abrupt, to the point, and often abusive in how he talked to people. He just didn't give a rip, and if you didn't like it? Tough! I wondered, after I heard about Neal, if that's what ended his NFL career fairly abruptly. I do know it scared the bejeebers out of other players when they heard him ask the question. They were probably looking for the wood chipper where Gregg would dispose of him!

I remember a story about Gregg getting into an argument with a guy in a convenience store over how cold it was outside. Gregg nearly punched him out because he refused to admit it was colder than what he thought, even though a thermometer showed differently. He was always a hard head.

Lol!
Those are GREAT stories about 60’s Packer icons!
Would have loved to see Gregg in one of his rants.
I’ve had a few bosses over the years that fit that profile.

He sounds more like a hammerhead!

I also heard that Gregg was a notoriously bad tipper on Mondays after they lost a game. On Mondays, after they won, he was a 10% tipper, at best. Kind of a tight wad?

I also heard that Gregg was a notoriously bad tipper on Mondays after they lost a game. On Mondays, after they won, he was a 10% tipper, at best. Kind of a tight wad?

Nah!
He was just sharing the love!

Back