Tackle Dummies

TW

Reaction score
How many missed tackles against the Ravens? I'm not even going to look for that stat. It had to be about 20, maybe more. We had over 20 misses in the first game too, if what I saw was correct. That's a huge number. It has to change.

At this point, I believe the tackling problem is more in alignment with the run defense, because we've given up less than 160 yards after catch on around 40 completions. That's a 4 yard average, and not as devastating. I'd like to see the yards on runs after missed tackles. That has to be pretty high. In two games, I've watched average running backs slip out of the grasp of Packer defenders all over the field, and it's frustrating.

Between now and opening day, the Packers had better learn to tackle better, or the Bears are going to suffocate them on defense, and tear them up on the ground, on offense, and the opening of the 100th year of the NFL is going to be a disaster for the green and gold. It's hardly what we need to see to start this memorable year.

Last edited:
I can’t think of a Packer player who came in as a poor tackler and became a good one, I don’t know if league rules allow for that kind of growth any more. I think this reflects a hole in our draft/player acquisition strategy. Gute highly values certain athletic traits but we don’t seem to have a number for tracking and valuing the ability of a prospect to tackle.

Or maybe we need to think outside the box. Has the team tested the viscosity of our equipment compared to others? Any large shipments of cooking spray go missing on game day? I’m grasping here like Ty “T-Rex” Summers.

We have 2 more weeks... Well next week to clean it up. Fixable pronlems imo.

Also lets get over that the bears are some unbeatable force. They looked like complete trash in both their games so far. Remember 4-0 lions didnt win a game that season and the 0-4 pats didnt lose again til the sb. I too was disgusted Thursday but I have faith they can fix this

preseason scores are meaningless. but the level of execution in preseason is not meaningless. right now, we don't look good.

preseason scores are meaningless. but the level of execution in preseason is not meaningless. right now, we don't look good.

As stated above perspective ..... 90 % of the trash was from guys that won't A. Make the team or B. will be 3rd string ST players. Also year 1 of a new system and staff is going to have kinks in it regardless of sport/level etc.

Yes we’re talking about third stringers but we are one injury at ILB away from Summers starting. We are one injury at CB away from some of these other prime offenders playing meaningful snaps. I know it’s a multi year fix but there is a razor thin margin between who is trustworthy on this roster and who isn’t.

that's true, rp. but i think it is true of most teams. last night we saw how good the bears "depth" is, and it doesn't look any better than ours.

Remember though the first team D wiffed enough tackles in that time they were out there too. Also the guys that won't start are just one injury away from starting.

i

these are robotic and remote controlled by a coach.

"Wouldn't it be neat," Teevens began, "if we could make one of those move?" He waved to a tackling dummy on the field below.

"You know, Buddy," said John Currier, the researcher friend, "I think we can."

Currier convened a team of engineering students, including one of Teevens' football players, to fashion the prototype that eventually became the Mobile Virtual Player. (Today, Teevens is chairman of the MVP company board.) It was janky at first, parts falling off here, loosening up over there, but was refined into what is now one of the beloved centerpieces of Dartmouth practices. (For others too. In college: Texas and Notre Dame, to name two. In the pros: the Cowboys and Steelers, among others. The NFL even spotlighted the MVP in a 2017 Super Bowl ad, a "future of football" tagline flashing on screen after a shot of the motorized dummy hurtling across Memorial Field.) It really does look like any other old tackling dummy -- until a coach wields that radar-gun-looking remote and presses go. Then it's a roving target for defensive players to fire their bodies at, and the closest approximation yet of tackling an on-the-go player. With less potential for head-to-head trauma.

Back