Skeptics loom as NCAA moves forward with guardrails around athlete compensation

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
The NCAA announced Wednesday it is moving forward with a plan to allow college athletes to earn money for endorsements and a host of other activities involving personal appearances and social media content.

Continue reading...

I wonder where this is going to end up. There will be loopholes so big they can drive SEC Ferraris through them.

Man, this is going to be fun to watch, if you like watching "epic fails" type videos. This is likely to create an even bigger divide between the "haves" and "have-nots" in college football and basketball. I suspect most of the other non-revenue sports will continue on as normal, though we might see some changes in baseball since youngsters could now get paid to play in college as well as the minors.

The fact that boosters can be involved tells me there will be all sorts of creative ways used to lure players to certain schools. While I know they are not going to allow schools to pay kids to commit, I'm just wondering about the things Phil Knight might come up with, for example, to show kids how well players at Oregon are reimbursed once they arrive on campus. I'm sure the NCAA would like the earnings to be based on true market value, but teams/boosters will I'm sure find ways to pay marginal players far more money than they deserve in the interest of building championship "teams".

The thing that might be most interesting to watch is which schools might suddenly become "players" because they have willing and moneyed boosters who can help them lure top talent they couldn't get before.

My takeaway from this is that the NCAA still does not get it, the findings were a joke The NCAA’s recommendations are not centered on the creation of a free market for college athletes. Far from it. Second , the NCAA included a section in the memorandum that suggested Congress be immediately engaged to ensure federal preemption over state name, image, and likeness laws, establish an antitrust exemption for the NCAA, and safeguard the nonemployment status of college athletes. This is a a non starter for many reasons.

Back to free marketplace,the NCAA says that deals between college athletes and shoe/apparel brands should be contingent on rules being developed “to prevent these new activities from undermining the integrity of the collegiate model and the recruiting process.” That’s beyond laughable.

also no one should accept the NCAA’s position that group licensing is unworkable. This is about NCAA control

Back