Silverstein: Getting Packers back in playoffs a tall order for Matt LaFleur

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately for Matt LaFleur, success among first-time NFL head coaches in their inaugural year is rare.

home

Continue reading...

leave it to silverstein to pee in packers fans cornflakes.

I think any fan will admit Packers probably won't contend this year. New staff and a bunch of new players. Will take time for them to gel and learn system. a 8-8 or 9-7 I think can be expected. I think right now 2020 is probably the goal to be able to contend as you still probably need 1 more draft and FA to build up this team to that level.

I think any fan will admit Packers probably won't contend this year. New staff and a bunch of new players. Will take time for them to gel and learn system. a 8-8 or 9-7 I think can be expected. I think right now 2020 is probably the goal to be able to contend as you still probably need 1 more draft and FA to build up this team to that level.
I see and talk to fans and expectations are all over the place. Some think McCarthy was the only problem some see a bare cupboard. Realistic I think it’s 9-7 but who knows

I see and talk to fans and expectations are all over the place. Some think McCarthy was the only problem some see a bare cupboard. Realistic I think it’s 9-7 but who knows

Packers won 6 games last year with Rodgers playing all of them that mattered. Three of them (Bears, Jets, 49ers) were straight up late game Rodgers magic. That tells me last year we really had a 2-3 win roster. If we’re able to double that this year to a 6 win roster, plus a couple Rodgers driven wins to get to 9 overall, that’s a big improvement right? No joking, for one offseason that’s good progress.

I agree completely but to put on my rose colored glasses which I don't do very often, let's look at last years Bears.

Bears went from 5-11 in 2017 to 12-4 last year. The Bears had a great D but with the Packers additions in FA and the draft, we could have and do have the best D on paper we have had since 2010. Packers have a better QB then the Bears and arguably better in the running back department. Difference is special teams. Can and will the Packers get better in that area? That could be the difference between another 2 or 3 wins.

Will the Packers turn it around like the Bears? Most likely not. But it sure would be fun if they did! br)br)

Maybe I'm the idiot eternal optimist, but I saw a Packers team in 2018 that had a QB who played on a broken leg all year, had a part time pass rusher who got nearly 25% of the teams QB sacks (Fackrell = 10.5) while you 2 star/stud (dud?) OLB's only get 3.5 combined (CM3/Perry) and still could've/should've beat MN (Wk 2), LAR (Wk 8), SEA (Wk 11), and AZ (Wk 13).

I think this years DEF takes over games at times and allows the OFF an opportunity to develop/gel.

I see no reason to not expect 10-6, and if the offense gels quicker 11-5. ggg(

I like Danno's optimism to be honest. It's kind of like finding out after you go in that dark closet to find something that there's a light switch, and you don't have to risk your life looking for what you need.

The Packers schedule is pretty tough this year. At the Chiefs, Cowboys, and Chargers is a daunting task. Winning one of those games could be a moral victory to be honest. Two would be like climbing Mt. Everest, and winning all three would be like climbing Everest without using oxygen. Not many people can handle that one.

We could fall in a range of anywhere from 5 wins up to 11. That's a big swing. When you average that out, we're talking about being in the 7 to 9 win range. It all kind of depends on how Rodgers adapts to the new offense, and just how much our defense improved with all the new faces that are going to be out there, on the field.

I'm afraid I find 9 wins about the best we can get, and I won't lose it if we win 7.

Back