Saying goodbye to my best friend

Terranimal

Wow, so sorry for ure loss! I lost my once in a lifetime dog 10 yrs ago.

She was all had left after losing 2 kids that was raising, house, ex and everything had owned in '02.

She literally saved my life. Still have dreams of her and bum out when I wake up and she's not there.

GBP4EVER

I get it. I think you develop these routines that become a comfort and it's lonely when you realize how every bit of your life has changed. Like today I just got a pang to the heart when I went to do my budget and saw the line item for the dog walker that I no longer need. Hell, I still wake up every morning now and go for a walk with her leash and collar, just because.

Wife and I talked about adopting again, I think we just want to wait until we're ready to treat another dog as it's own individual, and not treat it like Ellie or make assumptions it'll be like her in various ways.
Just need to take the time you need won't get over Ellie quick but there could be a chance some day you see a dog looking for a home and something just draws you to the dog. I feel in some way our former dogs give us a push then they feel that is the dog they want to have a place in the home next.

I have been thinking of adopting myself lately but have been debating because with work I am gone 10-11 hours a day and don't know if that's really fair to the dog.

rpiotr01

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
I have been thinking of adopting myself lately but have been debating because with work I am gone 10-11 hours a day and don't know if that's really fair to the dog.
Depends on the dog. Over the years my wife and I changed jobs and lost jobs, were both fully employed, unemployed and parts between, but generally speaking, and especially the last 3 years or so, we were gone about 10hrs per day and Ellie was fine. The only thing we did was have a walker come to let her out and give her a snack because I don’t like dogs holding it more than 7 hrs or so. So it’s doable if the dogs personality suits it. Some are high energy and they won’t be happy but many, if not most, would sleep that time away no matter what.

dannobanano

My 3 yr old Lab (Lena) is fine waiting several hours until we come home each day. She's left alone from about 8:30 until 3:00-3:30. (some days I get home a little earlier)

But the first thing we do when I get home is go outside and "play ball". She gets to run and burn off some of that pent-up energy she's been storing, and she get's to #1 & #2 right away as well.

I think smaller dogs (we used to own mini-schnauzers) tend to handle those longer days better than larger breeds. But, any dog, if they know they get to do something they love (like fetch) right away when you get home, they will be patient and wait.

Terranimal

Just need to take the time you need won't get over Ellie quick but there could be a chance some day you see a dog looking for a home and something just draws you to the dog. I feel in some way our former dogs give us a push then they feel that is the dog they want to have a place in the home next.

This has been my problem of long work hrs w/o someone else there to help and why why haven't had another dog

TW

My wife and I would love to have a dog. We just can't. Neither of us are capable of taking the dog for long walks several times a day, and even if we could, down here in South Texas, the street surfaces are so damned hot that you don't want to let a dog walk on them. Their feet could be badly burned.

Since we don't have fenced yards in our community, there's no place for a dog to run. We do have a small, roughly 450 sq. ft. fenced dog playground, but that's hardly big enough for the number of dogs in our park.

Then there's travel. We're back and forth between South Texas and Austin quite often, and we've been known to take off on a trek North, to Wisconsin, once in a while, and spend a lot of time in motels. Finding motels that accept dogs, then those that don't charge an arm and a leg for it, is difficult. When you're retired, money isn't that easily spent.

We've chosen to live with great memories. You really miss being able to have a companion like that, when it's no longer possible.