Saying goodbye to my best friend

HeartyHops

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
I'm so very sorry, rp. We've enjoyed your wonderful pictures of her for years, and she had the best life ever thanks to you and your wife.

WPF and I have been through this twice in the last couple of years, and it breaks one's heart.

Dogs are a gift from God.

Budman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
My thoughts and prayers are with you. Never an easy decision. May your pain lessen with each passing day.

rpiotr01

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Thank you all for the kind words and prayers. I know there are a lot of dog lovers on the board so I knew you'd all understand.

I'm so very sorry, rp. We've enjoyed your wonderful pictures of her for years, and she had the best life ever thanks to you and your wife.

WPF and I have been through this twice in the last couple of years, and it breaks one's heart.

Dogs are a gift from God.
They truly are HH. To experience that unconditional love, and have the opportunity to share it back, I think is a sign of god's love for us.

TW

There are days when I sit down at my computer when I can feel the presence of our pets near me. I can actually feel the heat generated from their bodies, as they lay against my feet. They aren't there. They're gone. Yet, in this small way, they send me a message that they'll never leave me. To those of us who love animals, they are family. Their love for us never dies.

rpiotr01

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
There are days when I sit down at my computer when I can feel the presence of our pets near me. I can actually feel the heat generated from their bodies, as they lay against my feet. They aren't there. They're gone. Yet, in this small way, they send me a message that they'll never leave me. To those of us who love animals, they are family. Their love for us never dies.
I've had the same. I can smell her in the house, I can hear the sound of her feet on the floor. Your senses scream out that they're still there but they aren't, at least if they are they're just out of sight, out of reach. Lately I've been feeling a sensation of her resting her head on my leg when I sit on the couch, so I just pet the spot and tell her I know she's there. Probably all sounds crazy to anyone who has never gone through it before.

TW

I've had the same. I can smell her in the house, I can hear the sound of her feet on the floor. Your senses scream out that they're still there but they aren't, at least if they are they're just out of sight, out of reach. Lately I've been feeling a sensation of her resting her head on my leg when I sit on the couch, so I just pet the spot and tell her I know she's there. Probably all sounds crazy to anyone who has never gone through it before.
It's been years now since we had pets. The senses are still here. You'll enjoy that bond as long as she remains in your heart.

WatertownPackerFan

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
rp - I'm very sad for you - the loss of a best friend, a gift from God, is truely heartwrenching. There are no words which can really help, but many of us know what it's like, understand your grief, and wish the best for you and your wife.

Nutbush

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
So sorry for your loss RP. It is a gut wrenching decision when you have to put your loyal buddy down and you will probably question the decision for quite some time at least I did. I have a hard time remembering birthdays and other dates anymore but I remember July 5th 2005 when I had to put my mutt Roscoe down. It hurt so bad I can't ever forget it and it took me 10 years before I could stand getting another dog and ended up with two. I always said I'll never get attached to a dog again but I'm right back to where I was in 2005. It will take some time RP but time does heal. You did make the right decision because as much love, loyalty' and affection Ellie showed you, you did the same by taking her out of her misery. God Bless

GBP4EVER

So sorry for your loss RP. It is a gut wrenching decision when you have to put your loyal buddy down and you will probably question the decision for quite some time at least I did. I have a hard time remembering birthdays and other dates anymore but I remember July 5th 2005 when I had to put my mutt Roscoe down. It hurt so bad I can't ever forget it and it took me 10 years before I could stand getting another dog and ended up with two. I always said I'll never get attached to a dog again but I'm right back to where I was in 2005. It will take some time RP but time does heal. You did make the right decision because as much love, loyalty' and affection Ellie showed you, you did the same by taking her out of her misery. God Bless
I remember when I was in my teens we had a dog for about 10 years that passed. My mother was saying that was the only dog she would ever have. She was only able to last about 2 weeks before she went and adopted another one as my parents need at least 1 dog in their house.

rpiotr01

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
I remember when I was in my teens we had a dog for about 10 years that passed. My mother was saying that was the only dog she would ever have. She was only able to last about 2 weeks before she went and adopted another one as my parents need at least 1 dog in their house.
I get it. I think you develop these routines that become a comfort and it's lonely when you realize how every bit of your life has changed. Like today I just got a pang to the heart when I went to do my budget and saw the line item for the dog walker that I no longer need. Hell, I still wake up every morning now and go for a walk with her leash and collar, just because.

Wife and I talked about adopting again, I think we just want to wait until we're ready to treat another dog as it's own individual, and not treat it like Ellie or make assumptions it'll be like her in various ways.