Ron Roenicke Fired

Counsell got a 3 year deal. He's not going anywhere soon. A new GM will not fix this. It's a small market revenue issue with becomes more of an issue because of Braun.

The reality of it is he will account for about 20% of payroll.

Counsell got a 3 year deal. He's not going anywhere soon. A new GM will not fix this. It's a small market revenue issue with becomes more of an issue because of Braun.

The reality of it is he will account for about 20% of payroll.

o_O

What I heard (on Twitter (from Phil Dawson (who's a local sports broadcaster))) is the possibility that Counsell might just be a stop-gap manager, so he can get to know the players better, so Attanasio can fire Melvin, give Counsell the GM job (he was in the front office before he became manager), and Counsell can hire the type of managers the players need.

Thought that was interesting.

What I heard (on Twitter (from Phil Dawson (who's a local sports broadcaster))) is the possibility that Counsell might just be a stop-gap manager, so he can get to know the players better, so Attanasio can fire Melvin, give Counsell the GM job (he was in the front office before he became manager), and Counsell can hire the type of managers the players need.

Thought that was interesting.
Considering Melvin gave Counsell an open invite to join the front office I see that as doubtful. Plus giving him a 3 year deal seems permanent. As I said before these issues are bigger than and GM. Nobody will fix this with Brauns contract limiting any flexability. Is Melvin perfect ? No but revenue abd payroll will always limit what he can do from evaluation to scouting to FA. Everyone thought Jack Z was the brains here but what does he have to show for it in Seattle with deeper pockets. Just look at our spring training and minor league facilities. They are well poor. Again back to revenue

Considering Melvin gave Counsell an open invite to join the front office I see that as doubtful. Plus giving him a 3 year deal seems permanent. As I said before these issues are bigger than and GM. Nobody will fix this with Brauns contract limiting any flexability. Is Melvin perfect ? No but revenue abd payroll will always limit what he can do from evaluation to scouting to FA. Everyone thought Jack Z was the brains here but what does he have to show for it in Seattle with deeper pockets. Just look at our spring training and minor league facilities. They are well poor. Again back to revenue
Nashville actually dumped Milwaukee because they were tired of losing due to the poor quality of prospects that Milwaukee always had. So Milwaukee had to go to a crappy team like Colorado Springs because that's all they could fine. That blame falls on Melvin for crappy drafting and having a poor scouting department.

Nashville actually dumped Milwaukee because they were tired of losing due to the poor quality of prospects that Milwaukee always had. So Milwaukee had to go to a crappy team like Colorado Springs because that's all they could fine. That blame falls on Melvin for crappy drafting and having a poor scouting department.
That is NOT the only reason. The team also did not invest at the facility. The Arizona site is horrible also. That's not on Melvin funny how Nashville overall attendance was up 2 million as a Brewers affiliate guess that's on Melvin too

I don't discount the scenario mentioned above, or at least a version of it. Melvin is given a new, more hands-off job as vice-president of baseball operations. Counsell moves up to the GM seat and they hire a new manager. Leaving Counsell as manager and hiring a new GM who won't be able to bring in his own manager seems like another mess waiting to happen. Most new GMs would prefer to bring in their own manager.

This team needs to do a better job in the draft and I'd be looking long and hard at bringing in a new scouting staff. In the end though, with the goofy payroll differences in MLB, a small market like Milwaukee will always be a team that can have, at best, 2-3 playoff years every 10-15 years. The deck is stacked against you because you have to make it work with 2-3 high priced players and the rest need to be a core group of young guys in cheaper deals. That only happens in intervals for teams like this. The big market teams can just go buy some players to fill in when the farm system is at a low point or can't fill a specific need.

After reaching the WS last year, Ned Yost has the Royals off to one of the best records in MLB this year... Merely switching managers isn't gonna do much except keep the public distracted. Pack is right this team has issues top to bottom. Don't know how they ever get out of it, but Brauns contract is the first step...

Back