Reports: Three-star LB Dallas Jeanty verbally commits to Wisconsin

JakeKocoB5Q

Reaction score
16512857160_f3dd182917_o.0.0.jpg

A talented linebacker from Florida with a special story plans on verbally pledging to the Badgers.

The future of the Wisconsin Badgers' linebacking corp seems to be taking shape.

Hours after Carmel, Ind., outside linebacker Noah Burks tweeted his commitment to Wisconsin Saturday afternoon, reports stated Fort Lauderdale, Fla., linebacker Dallas Jeanty verbally committed to the Badgers as well.

Scout.com's Corey Bender first reported Jeanty's commitment to Wisconsin.

The 6'0, 205-pound linebacker -- who runs a Sparq-verified 4.87-second 40-yard dash -- is a three-star recruit and the No. 53rd inside linebacker per 247Sports' composite rankings. Jeanty's offers list is impressive, as he's received offers from Maryland, Northern Illinois, Oregon State and Cincinnati, along with Ivy League schools Harvard, Yale and Dartmouth.

Even more impressive about Jeanty is his story. At one point, he was homeless and still works two jobs while maintaining a stellar GPA and athletic career.

Two years ago, a messy situation involving child protection services left Jeanty without a legal guardian. He spent the next two months finding a new place to sleep each night.

"My mom was going through a lot," he said. "And my dad left when I was young, came back, and left again. I would find the safest alleys I could go to sleep in or find somewhere in public places where I wouldn't get in trouble."

The family of a close friend took him in temporarily, and at the same time he supported himself working two jobs. He also continued to stay in school and play football at Fort Lauderdale. Eventually, a teacher at the school -- Malease Berg -- took Jeanty in to live with her family of five.

"That's my family and I'm so thankful for them," he said.

He still works jobs, one at a grocery store and the other at a restaurant, waiting and busing tables. This all the while juggling the typical responsibilities of a high school student-athlete.

Jeanty tweeted his verbal commitment on Saturday evening, although reports seemed to indicate Wisconsin's coaching staff wasn't entirely prepared for it.

Blessed to announce that I have committed to the University of Wisconsin to excel as a Student-Athlete!! pic.twitter.com/HUCwWR3Cjm

— Dal (@ItsDallasJ) June 14, 2015

Dallas Jeanty tells me he has yet to call the coaching staff but will do so tomorrow morning. Waiting until then to list him as committed.

— Jon McNamara (@McNamaraRivals) June 14, 2015

It did seem as though Jeanty touched base with Wisconsin defensive line coach Anoke Breckterfield later Saturday evening, making him Wisconsin's likely eighth known commit for the class of 2016.

Coach Breck and the staff fired up, blessed to have a new home and family #OnWisconsin

— Dal (@ItsDallasJ) June 14, 2015

Read more from BadgerBlitz.com's Dan Broughton on Jeanty's plan to commit to Wisconsin ($), as well as Bender's full Scout article here. As always, stay tuned with B5Q for more details if they develop.

Continue reading...

Back