Report: Former Wisconsin, Denver Broncos OL John Moffitt attempting NFL comeback

JakeKocoB5Q

Reaction score
usa-today-7464751.0.jpg

The former Badgers lineman appears set to attempt a NFL comeback.

Former Denver Broncos and Wisconsin Badgers offensive lineman John Moffitt has unretired and is training for a NFL comeback, reports Fox Sports' Jay Glazer.

Moffitt, whose surprise retirement in 2013 generated enough attention to warrant two pieces from The New York Times, has been training with Glazer and Unbreakable Performance for the past three months. In a lengthy tweet on Wednesday, Glazer said that Moffitt, 28, had become "the favorite of every player in our gym," which includes former NFL lineman Steve Hutchinson, Shaun O'Hara and Jackie Slater.

"I have never been so proud of a guy I've trained than I am of John Moffitt," Glazer wrote. "Retired two years ago bc he knew he had drug issues, took time to go to rehab, clean up his life, beat his demons and he has taken his life back! Guy inspires us every day. He came to me 3 months ago @unbreakable to train to take his career back. He's become the favorite of every player in our gym. He officially un-retired today. Free agent starting guard. So proud of him to get here"

The Broncos will release Moffitt, according to Glazer, to allow him to hit waivers.

After playing at Wisconsin from 2007 to 2010, Moffitt was drafted by the Seattle Seahawks as a third-round pick in 2011. He appeared in 17 games over his first two NFL seasons with the Seahawks, but was traded to the Broncos in 2013 (reportedly after a deal with the Cleveland Browns fell through because Moffitt failed a physical) before retiring that November.

Just before St. Patrick's Day 2014, he "hit bottom," as the Times wrote in its second story on Moffitt. At a basement club in Chicago, he was caught with a gram of cocaine, 10 grams of marijuana and four ecstasy pills. After a scuffle, he was arrested and charged with battery and three counts of drug possession. He spent a night in jail before he was released on his own recognizance.

The Times reports Moffitt later enrolled in a high-end rehabilitation clinic in Malibu, Calif., and then had the drug charges dismissed.

Once his release from the Broncos is processed, Moffitt will hit waivers since he has accrued fewer than four years of NFl service.

In a subsequent tweet, Glazer added, "Amazing how this guy took his life back. He's taught us in the gym a bunch about beating your demons"

Moffitt, a Guilford, Conn., native, played four seasons at Wisconsin, starting 42 of the 45 games he appeared in. In 2010, he was an Associated Press first-team Al-American, a Sports Illustrated second-team All-American and a consensus first-team All-Big Ten selection. Moffitt was also a consensus first-team All-Big Ten selection in 2009.

Continue reading...

Back