REPORT: Badgers set to hire Tony Granato as next men’s hockey head coach

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
463035174-150x150.jpg

After two of the worst years in Wisconsin men’s hockey history, Mike Eaves was not retained and a national search for a new head coach began. According to reports, that search is coming to an end with the hire of Badgers legend Tony Granato as the next head coach:

Multiple sources tell me Tony Granato will be the next Head Hockey Coach at Wisconsin. Brother Donny will likely join him on staff.

— John Buccigross (@Buccigross) March 27, 2016

Granato, a two-time second-team All-American as a player for the Badgers from 1983 to ’87, will replace Eaves after 14 seasons at the helm of the program. He scored 100 goals in 151 games during his time in Madison, and was a finalist for the 1987 Hobey Baker Award given to the best college hockey player in America.

It is an interesting hire, as Granato has spent all of his coaching career at the NHL level, including two stints as the head coach of the Colorado Avalanche. He began coaching in 2002 after a long career as a player in for the New York Rangers, Los Angeles Kings and San Jose Sharks.

Granato was an assistant coach with the Detroit Red Wings for the past two seasons.

Perhaps the biggest help to Granato is the reported hire of two key assistant coaches — his brother Don and former UW assistant coach, Ohio State head coach and Green Bay Gamblers head coach, Mark Osiecki.

The duo are both former UW assistants, and both are hooked in well to the youth level of hockey, as Don Granato is the current USNDT U-18 coach and Osiecki has spent plenty of years recruiting at the college level.

It’s one of the most talented group of coaches Wisconsin has put together on one staff, but a needed one given the elder Granato’s lack of experience coaching on the collegiate level.

With the Badgers winning just 12 games over the past two seasons, it’s a staff that will have a major rebuilding job on its hands. It also will have some nice players to work with in forwards Grant Besse and Luke Kunin, assuming Besse sticks around as he was a 5th round pick of the Anaheim Ducks in 2013 and is eligible to make the move at any point now.

The Badgers will also only three seniors in Eddie Wittchow, Kevin Schulze and Adam Miller.

UW will be adding Jere Astren (D), Tarek Barker (C), Matthew Berkovitz (D), Jack Berry (G),Trent Frederic (C), Dan Labonsky (LW), Adam Parsells (D), Martin Sundberg (RW) and Max Zimmer (LW) per College Hockey Inc.

Five of those players signed national letters of intent this past season — Dan Laboski of Edina, Minnesota; Martin Sundberg of Linkoping, Sweden and Max Zimmer of Medina, Minnesota; along with defensemen Tony Stillwell of Green Bay and Jere Astren of Helsinki, Finland.

The Granato’s should be very familiar with Frederic, as he is a member of the U-18 squad Don is currently coaching.

The post REPORT: Badgers set to hire Tony Granato as next men’s hockey head coach appeared first on Madtown Badgers.

Continue reading...

That they got Tony to take the head and have Donny and Osiecki to stand in the bench with him is nothing short of remarkable.

This instantly becomes a top 5 coaching staff nationally. Only one I can say for sure is better is Coach York up at BC.

Yup, count me as among the surprised that they got all 3 of those guys - nice recovery B.A. Now, go hire a women's B-ball coach who wins with some regularity and you can retire knowing you left UW athletics in great shape.

My friend that I used to do a weekly "Badger Hockey Insider" for on his radio show called me last night and we spent about 30 minutes talking about what I thought this meant for the program.

I could only come up with good things to say. And when asked about downsides as the change occurred, I couldn't think of any. I can't see how any of the incoming recruits would de-commit because this crew are coaching instead of Eaves. If they keep taking Sanger as the volunteer assistant coach (goaltenders) I think Jurusik will continue improving. Otherwise, these guys have connections to all sorts of top-notch tendy coaches.

This is the most excitement I've seen among people-in-the-know and even some of the less hardcore fans since the '06 in-state title run.

This is incredible. Of the top two candidates, they hire one as head coach and he brings the other in as an assistant. Along with another top coach. This should be huge for recruiting, and they could build this team into a powerhouse in just a couple of years. There are few things more important than coaching at this level of hockey, and we just solved that problem.

Hey, I'm on a hockey high here this week - my hometown college team won the national D III title Saturday night, for the first time in over 20 years. Go Pointers!! I was there behind the glass on the goal line last time; this time... I look out the window and see people in shorts and T-shirts mowing their damned lawns for the third time this spring. God, i hate Kentucky.

Back