Replacing Rodgers: Here are the free agent options at QB

M

Mark Eckel

By BOB McGINN

Mike McCarthy believes in his system of offensive football and his philosophy of coaching quarterbacks.

The 12th-year coach of the Green Bay Packers made it clear Sunday in Minneapolis that he’s content to start Brett Hundley and promote Joe Callahan from the practice squad to be No. 2 in the wake of Aaron Rodgers’ broken collarbone.

“Brett Hundley’s my quarterback, Joe Callahan’s the backup,” McCarthy said after the 23-10 loss to the Minnesota Vikings at U.S. Bank Stadium. “That’s the direction we’re going.”

It’s entirely possible the Packers will add a quarterback to the practice squad. They’d like it to be Taysom Hill but the Brigham Young rookie who outperformed Callahan in their training camp remains on the New Orleans Saints’ roster as No. 3.

Since Sept. 6 the only quarterback Green Bay has had in for a workout was Jerod Evans (6-2 ½, 233). A rookie from Virginia Tech, he lasted 11 days with the Philadelphia Eagles in May before being released.

Another practice-squad possibility might be Taylor Heinicke (6-0 ½, 211), an undersized touch passer not unlike Callahan who was waived off New England’s practice squad Oct. 9. He spent most of the past two seasons on the Vikings’ 53-man roster.

Other rookies who have had NFL tryouts in the past two weeks were Miami’s Brad Kaaya (6-4, 216) and Pennsylvania’s Alek Torgensen (6-2 ½, 218). Other free agents with thin resumes that have had recent tryouts are Garrett Grayson (6-2 ½, 214), Stephen Morris (6-2, 218) and Joel Stave (6-5 ½, 233), a former Wisconsin Badger.

“We’ve got some excellent coaches in the quarterback room,” McCarthy said. “Alex Van Pelt. I’ve been around the quarterbacks for a long time. Aaron is a great mentor; he’s been in this spot before and mentored Scott Tolzien.

“So we have some history here. We’re going to really around this thing, and we’re going to have a game plan to beat the Saints.”

What happens if Hundley or Callahan were to suffer an injury? That’s where my emergency list of 12 available veterans would become of significant interest.

In alphabetical order, here are the dozen quarterbacks that would dot the availability board for a number of teams.

Matt Barkley (6-2 1/2, 227, 27): A fourth-round draft choice by the Eagles in 2013, he started one game in two years. Last year, he made six starts for the Bears, posting a 1-5 record and 68.3 rating. On Dec. 18, Barkley completed 30 of 43 passes for 362 yards, two touchdowns and three interceptions (81.7) in the Packers’ 30-27 victory at Soldier Field. Released by the 49ers Sept. 3. Worked out for Cincinnati Oct. 5 and Tennessee Oct. 3. Scored 30 on the Wonderlic intelligence test.

Matt Flynn (6-2, 228, 32): Bailed out the Packers in 2013 when Rodgers suffered his first broken collarbone. Served as No. 2 in Green Bay in ’14 but wasn’t re-signed. Spent two months with New England in the summer of 2015 but was cut. Spent two weeks with the Jets late that August but was cut. Was on the Saints’ 53 for the last seven games of ’15 but didn’t take a snap. Out of football since December 2015. Wonderlic of 26.

Robert Griffin III (6-2 ½, 223, 27): Cut by Cleveland March 10 and on the street ever since. Went 1-4 as a starter in 2015 (72.5 rating). Started 35 games for Washington from 2013-’15, compiling a 14-21 record. Career rating is 88.4. Has a history of major injuries. Wonderlic of 24.

Shaun Hill (6-3, 230, 37): Started one game for the Vikings last season, beating Tennessee, 25-16, in the opener before giving way to Sam Bradford. Became an unrestricted free agent in March but wasn’t signed. His 35 career starts (17-18) have come for five teams. Had eight starts for the 49ers in 2008, 10 for the Lions in ’10 and eight for the Rams in ’14. Career rating is 84.9.

Colin Kaepernick (6-4 ½, 225, 29): Started 11 games for the 49ers last season with a 1-10 record and a 90.7 rating. Became an unrestricted free agent in March. Visited Seattle in off-season. His decision to kneel during the national anthem in 2016 started a national discussion/controversy. Reportedly filed a grievance against the league alleging collusion on the part of teams for not signing him. Beat the Packers in playoff games in 2012 and ’13. Career record of 28-30, career rating of 88.9. Also has 2,300 yards rushing and 13 touchdowns. Wonderlic of 37.

Luke McCown (6-4, 208, 36): Cut by Dallas Sept. 3. His brother, Josh, starts for the Jets. Cleveland’s fourth-round draft choice in 2004. Started career-high four games as a rookie. Made merely 10 career starts (2-8). Rating of 71.3. Wonderlic of 20.

Matt McGloin (6-1, 207, 27): Cut by Eagles Sept. 3. Had tryouts with Bengals and Titans this month. Started six games for Oakland as a rookie free agent in 2013. Played four seasons with the Raiders, finishing with a 1-6 record and 75.3 rating. Signed by the Eagles as unrestricted free agent April 17.

Ryan Nassib (6-2, 228, 27): Signed as an unrestricted free agent by the Saints June 9. Cut by the Jaguars Oct. 7. Fourth-round draft choice by the Giants in ’13. Played in five games, attempting just 10 passes, in four seasons. Wonderlic of 41.

Dan Orlovsky (6-5, 230, 34): Cut by the Rams Sept. 3. Backed up Matthew Stafford in Detroit from 2014-’16. Last starts were with the Colts in ’11. Fifth-round draft choice by the Lions in ’05. Career record of 2-10, career rating of 75.3. Wonderlic of 30.

Tony Romo (6-2, 220, 37): Retired from football in off-season to become lead analyst for NFL telecasts on CBS. On Thursday night, he and broadcasting partner Jim Nantz were discussing Romo’s last TD pass for Dallas Jan. 1 against the Eagles. “Maybe it wasn’t my last pass,” Romo said with a laugh. Overcame back problems to back up Dak Prescott down the stretch in 2016. In April, he said: “Do I envision coming back and playing football? Absolutely not. I’m committed to CBS … I’m sure I will (get a call). There’s not enough quarterbacks that can win 12 games in the NFL, anyway.” Career record of 78-49, career rating of 97.1. From Burlington, Wis. Wonderlic of 37.

Connor Shaw (6-0 ½, 207, 26): Cut by the Bears Sept. 2. Undersized free agent entered the NFL in 2014. Started one game for Cleveland as a rookie. Worked out for the Texans Tuesday. Wonderlic of 23.

T.J. Yates (6-3 ½ , 215, 30): Cut by the Bills Sept. 12 and received an injury settlement. Started five regular-season and two playoff games for Houston as a rookie in 2011. Worked out for the Bengals and Titans this month. Career record of 4-3, career rating of 72.8. Wonderlic of 29.

The post Replacing Rodgers: Here are the free agent options at QB appeared first on Bob McGinn Football.

Continue reading...

Agree TJ Yates would probably be best guy to sign off that list to be a backup.

We dont need anyone else at this point, except for maybe the practice squad. We will be ok with Hundley starting and Callahan as the backup. I wouldnt sign anyone else now.

We dont need anyone else at this point, except for maybe the practice squad. We will be ok with Hundley starting and Callahan as the backup. I wouldnt sign anyone else now.
Define OK?

If you are good with just playing the games to get through the season, yes they will be OK. If you want to win games and make the playoffs in hopes that Rodgers will be healthy by the end of the season, then I think help is needed.

I'll get roasted for this but I'd give Kaepernick a workout, and I'd be on the phone with Romo at least to see what he's thinking. Both have the ability to win games. One with his arm and one with his feet. If you are of the mindset that we play for next years draft then by all means, Hundley and Callahan are the way to go.

I don't like his skill set in a rhythm and timing based offense, yeah he's got legs etc but it's a bad fit in GB.tc(

Don't disagree but just feel like a workout to check the tires and see what he can do can't hurt. Maybe the QB whisperer can work his magic.

I'd like to get T.J. Yates behind both of them and go with 3 on the roster if Rodgers goes to IR. More of an insurance policy Score.

Define OK?

If you are good with just playing the games to get through the season, yes they will be OK. If you want to win games and make the playoffs in hopes that Rodgers will be healthy by the end of the season, then I think help is needed.

I'll get roasted for this but I'd give Kaepernick a workout, and I'd be on the phone with Romo at least to see what he's thinking. Both have the ability to win games. One with his arm and one with his feet. If you are of the mindset that we play for next years draft then by all means, Hundley and Callahan are the way to go.

We will win games with Hundley. I more worried about all the other injuries. If the injured dont get healthy, it wont matter who is qb.

I don't like his skill set in a rhythm and timing based offense, yeah he's got legs etc but it's a bad fit in GB.tc(
Without an OL we won't have rhythm anyway and he'll be running for his life. With that perspective he would be a fit. Just saying........

Back