Recruiting and NIL

Big Ten and other conferences have zero reason to give players revenue sharing.

These are amatures but yet want to be paid pros.
College athletes especially in true revenue sports have not been amateurs for years. And for the NCAA to use the label student athletes is at best hypocrisy.

And even with NIL , 98% won’t be paid like pros.

Big Ten and other conferences have zero reason to give players revenue sharing.
No. They have every reason to pocket $1b per year in revenue and distribute to schools for whatever reason they see fit.

Better now be taxed on the scholarships since they should be considered employees.

Very difficult to tax that. It would have to be considered wages or income and also many scholarships are endowments.

And for the record Clifford clarified much of what is happening and it’s way down the road

Better now be taxed on the scholarships since they should be considered employees.

Also scholarships also include room and board and not only “education”. I doubt the IRS Will what to rewrite law and open Pandora’s box

Greed and lawyers go hand in hand. Before this gets settled into a track that's sustainable, there's going to be a lot of problems.

Also scholarships also include room and board and not only “education”. I doubt the IRS Will what to rewrite law and open Pandora’s box
Well got to do something kids can't just unionzie and still decalre themselves amatures

Well got to do something kids can't just unionzie and still decalre themselves amatures
And Title IX will make any revenue sharing virtually impossible…and the word amateur is also subjective. They get stipends now, medical care under certain limits and NIL is considered income.

Was at a dinner last night with some couples from our church. One of the couples has a son, who is now a backup QB at Michigan (his backup highlights include an interception against UW last year). First of all, every summer the Michigan Football team does a 2 week trip - usually to Europe or something; this year they only did a "tour of Michigan". Now, I know we all have been talking about NIL, but let me tell you what their son is getting. The owner of the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island is a Michigan Alum, and also has a lot of real estate investments. Their son is one of 9 players that he pays their entire tuition ($42 grand per semester) and he gets $5,000 a month. And recently, for a promotion of the MI National Guard, he was on a Chinook helicopter, tweeting about his ride, and he got $18K payment. The father (who played football at Penn State), was just chuckling about how they have now made booster payments legal. The part of this we never talk about is all of that money is TAXABLE - they kicked him off of their tax filing because at their tax rate they were getting killed - so he has to file independently now.

Back