QB Kare Lyles announces transfer from Badgers

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Quarterback Karé Lyles came to the University of Wisconsin as one of the first targets of the Paul Chryst era. He also came with gaudy high school stats and plenty of hardware at the high school level. However, since his arrival two offseason’s ago he has struggled to gain traction in the quarterback room for the Badgers. On Friday night, Lyles announced his intention to transfer from the...

Source

Continue reading...

He was a GA recruit. I am surprised he lasted this long to be honest... all the best in your future endeavors young man.

Actually Mark, Lyles was totally a PC recruit. GA might have had some preliminary contact but I suspect not. You might be thinking of Austin Kafentzis, who also transferred. That was GA's last QB recruit. Chryst urged him to stick with his commitment even though GA had left before he signed his letter of intent. He was the wrong type of QB.

Lyles was a legacy recruit who grew up in Madison before going to high school in Arizona. His dad played at UW with Joe Rudolph, and he was one of the first kids to commit in Chryst's first full recruiting class. He arrived on campus with a bum hip and had to have surgery and after that just never seemed to get in a groove. Last year Coan moved ahead of him right away and now I suspect Vanden Boom has also passed him. I think in time Wolf would have passed him this fall and certainly Mertz would also pass him next season. Unfortunately for him, I don't think he was ever going to see the field.

Best of luck to him. Hopefully this won't impact his brother Kaden. He's in the 2-deep at o-line.

GA staff started that process and PC closed the deal. His dad was a Badger... always struck me as a legacy recruit situation.

You are likely right on GA making some contact as Lyles was playing in Arizona at the same time Kafentzis (from Utah) was being recruited by GA so there might have been some overlap, GA seemed to work that area of the country and knew it pretty well.

I call him a Chryst recruit because he was not part of the class that GA put in the offers on and that Chryst held together. GA left in November of 2014. Lyles was one of the first kids offered a scholarship by PC in March of 2015 and accepted almost immediately. The decision to extend an offer to him rests completely with PC. We can blame GA for plenty, but not Lyles.

I wish him well. He just needs to find a program where his skill sets can be appreciated. He was a credit to the program through his hard work, according to everything I've heard, and that translates into success when the fit is right.

Back