QB Controversy- Who to Keep?

ChampionshipBelt

Reaction score
OK, so I know some of you may think I am a nut job for posting this thread but hear me out.cra)

I re watched the game against the Eagles and watched both Hundley and Blanchard closely.

Hundley has great potential. I love the way he stayed in the pocket but also stepped up in the pocket when needed. He also kept his eyes downfield even when he moved out of the pocket. Lastly, he is fairly accurate overall but seems to be very accurate on the run. He will get better.

Blanchard played very well with limited time against the Eagles. He is extremely comfortable in the pocket and has a pretty strong arm. He seems to have very good touch on deep or over the top routes. He also has pretty good accuracy. Lastly, let's face it. He is a winner and comes from a winning program in college. That can go a long way with confidence and being a leader which is what a QB needs to be.

Now, back to the point of this thread. Both of these guys have good potential and are younger than Tolzien. Even though Tolzien has improved. Has he improved enough to be that much better than Hundley or Blanchard. From what I saw from Hundley in the Eagles game, (yes, it was one game) he can make all the throws Tolzien can and has the ability to escape the pocket. If Hundley plays this way in the last preseason game, I would argue to move Hundley to the 2nd QB position. (Let's face it. Next year Tolzien is gone anyway) At this point Tolzien is probably ahead of Blanchard on the depth chart; however, IMO Blanchard has way more upside than Tolzien does and if we release Blanchard, I do not see him making it through waivers to make the practice squad. Lastly, if you do keep both Hundley and Blanchard, I could see trading one of these guys in a year or two for a draft pick as an option.

Would love all of your opinions on this.

I just don't know if Hundley is ready to be the #2 backup right now. We signed Tolzien to a one year contract and I would be very comfortable with him as Rodgers' primary backup this season. There are QB needy teams out there that will give Tolzien a contract in 2016 so we could then get a comp pick for him later on and Hundley would by then be ready to take over the #2 spot. Blanchard will most likely not pass waivers but his fate was sealed as far as making this team after we drafted Hundley.

I agree with Pugger. It has been suggested several times that we cut Tolzien and keep Hundley and Blanchard. That surprises me. Hundley barely knows the playbook whereas Tolzien has been in our system for almost 2 years. If God forbid Aaron goes down if we still have Lacy we have a chance to keep winning. Tolzien has done ok in pre-season. I would not want a rookie QB to play at this point.

Do Hundley and Blanchard have higher possible ceilings than Tolzien - yes. Would I keep the 2 of them and cut Tolzien - nope.

I might do that if the Pack were a middle to lower tier team right now with a potential starting QB issue looming - ie, the Bears? In that case I'm building for the future and I need to keep my highest ceiling talent. Maybe one or the other is my QB of the future.

In this case, our QB for the next 5-7 years (maybe more) is Aaron Rodgers and none of these other 3 QBs are likely to be better than he will be over that time. It means you are probably going to lose all 3 of them over the course of time because none of the 3 is our future starting QB. They will all likely chase the money and a starting spot elsewhere once they can. Our future at the QB position is probably a high schooler right now and will be part of the 2019, 2020 or 2021 draft.

In this situation, keep the guy with the best chance to win you a few games this year, in the event AR gets injured. For this year, that guy is Tolzien. Maybe by next year it'll be Hundley, in which case maybe you can let Tolzien walk. Heck maybe bring Blanchard back again, because it's not like we will be the first team to release him and he'll be operating on a 1 year deal wherever he goes, if anywhere.

I sense an injury coming out of one of the backups. I think all of them stay. No reason for it. Just a feeling.

Decent backup QB's are hard to find.

There really was never a controversy. Hundley and Blanchard were not going to pass Tolzien on the depth chart. People created a competition between Blanchard and Hundley in their minds, because TT isn't going cut a guy who represents two draft picks- Hundley. They didn't draft Hundley for what he is, he was drafted for his potential. Blanchard has made the most of his opportunity- showing other teams he might have something to offer. Wouldn't be suprised if he ended up back with da Bears. Next year we will roll with just 2 QBs, ARod and Hundley.

Blanchard's fate was sealed when we drafted Hundley. It appears Blanchard passed thru waivers so if we want we can bring him back to the PS next week.

Back