QB Brett Hundley impressed coaches, could earn backup role in 2016

Here is the problem ya'll. Tolzien is flawed no one argues that however the game has slowed down for him and he knows all a\our check downs and protections cold.

Arguable ya'll can say Hundley has more upside ..played better in preseason last year whatever. I get it BUT he's a 2nd year NFL player with zero playing time vs first string NFL defense. Translated the game is still fast and furious for him.

Smart move is give Tolzien a nice 1 year deal with a signing bonus and let Hundley work into it. Frankly if Rodgers goes down and Hundley is your starter it's podo( city. tc(
I'd LIKE to be 3-deep at the position, and keep Tolzien for security, be it as no 2 or 3. But HE needs to agree to that 1 year deal. If he's hell-bent on going to a team where he'd have any chance of starting, TT can't stop him (except by tagging him :rolleyes:).

I loved what I saw from Hundley last pre-season, and everything I've read about him after. One of they guys I'm most interested to follow in camp. But he could be too much of a project this year. We'll see.

Nerd - Aaron has only 1-2 good years left in our opponents' fantasies. He may lose some mobility later, but has the arm and smarts to learn to play from the pocket. 4-6 good years is more likely.

It's so true that if Rodgers goes down the season is toast no matter what. However, much of this talk of who is the better backup is based mostly on just a feeling we have. Basically it boils down to who would you want behind center in the NFC Championship game if Aaron Rodgers did happen to get injured, would it be Tolzien or Hundley?
Now because neither of these 2 backups have ever played and demonstrated their skills-set in such a game we are forced to go on a hunch. I might like Brett Hundley because he shows greater mobility and explosiveness outside the pocket and you might think more of Scott Tolzien because he has more experience with the playbook and seems wiser with the ball.
Whichever player we're more comfortable with as our backup the fact remains that we don't really know who would perform better under pressure in an important game.
My point is that we can't assume too much, we can have our opinions but do we really know who would perform better.....I think not.

In an ideal situation, Tolzien would agree to another 1yr, relatively low dollar deal and I think everyone would feel more secure. This is up to Tolzien, more than the Packers. I would not feel all that great about picking up another rookie this year and going with Hundley and Rookie AR. (Who, by the way seems like he can still play another 5 years at a pretty high level. QBs usually slide downhill rather than fall off a cliff like RBs.)

Hundley could use one more year as the #3 and another solid pre-season to show everyone he can get it done. I do think he has potential based on those last 2 preseason games last year, despite my thinking he was not all that good a fit for us coming out of college.

Very good point. I really don't see Hundley as a long term starter myself. Develop and trade him. But GB would then need to start looking for the next starter. Give hm 2-3 years behind Aaron.

I don't think Hundley is going to be a starting level QB so I don't think he will fall into draft and trade guy. I could see Hundley becoming a sold backup for this team for the next 5-7 years though.

Hall of Fame game is a blessing for Hundley. He's gonna get alot of extra game time snaps. I welcome the extra long look. I think he's got some real potential.

So this is my opinion:

We need to draft heavily on defense the next two drafts at LB (Inside and out), and DT. We try to keep most of this OL intact over the next 4 years so we can protect AR as best we can. IMO, we can pick up some WR's, maybe a TE, and a RB in a draft round here or there. We know TT will not do anything major in FA so by doing this we continue to build up the defense for one last run. (Since AR will continue to get less mobile and accurate). Also, this way when AR retires, we have a defense that may be able to carry us a couple season as we search for the next solid QB. (We all know we will not get lucky enough to a get a BF or AR again anytime soon)

Of course, this is easier said than done. Especially with TT's track record in the upper rounds of the draft. hgh)

Aaron's been breaking down the last couple years. Before that, he missed all those games with the collarbone. HOPEFULLY he returns to previous form next year, but that's no guarantee. Tolzien is 28 and will want a chance to start somewhere. I think he'll get that. Hundley needs at least one more year to get ready. Plus he needs to keep his head together for two more offseasons. If he can stay grounded mentally and continue improving, he could end up being very good.

Aaron's been breaking down the last couple years. Before that, he missed all those games with the collarbone. HOPEFULLY he returns to previous form next year, but that's no guarantee. Tolzien is 28 and will want a chance to start somewhere. I think he'll get that. Hundley needs at least one more year to get ready. Plus he needs to keep his head together for two more offseasons. If he can stay grounded mentally and continue improving, he could end up being very good.
I don't think Arod's had anything that would make him more fragile in the future. Random singular injuries at different spots, most players get that. Far from the glass -category.

As long as his arm, neck, head and heart stay intact, Arod can ball. Even if his legs slow down.

There's a LOT of projection with Hundley. No idea where he'll end up. He was great last pre-season. Later interviews have been impressive, too. He was MIFFED by getting drafted so late, turned it into motivation and understanding that he needs to learn more. He's fueled to the max. It's like a lower round, but as hungry and willing-to-work Arod.

By rights, he should have a bright future, here or elsewhere.

Way too early to be talking about Hundley taking over #2 spot. Yes he looked good in pre-season last year. But I need to see if he's improved on that. If he looks the same as he did last year with little improvement then no way GB even thinks about it. Tolzein is not great, but he is at least comfortable in the offense. I doubt Tolzein gets a starting offer somewhere else. His best option is to stay in GB. Unless he's gonna chase a little bit more $$ to go to a worse team.

Back