Preseason Week 1 Green Bay vs Houston

What does get sorted out tonight is which non-starter types have been listening, and learning, from the coaches. At this point, everything from new technique, to footwork and variables related to each plays based on what you see across from you comes into play, and you start to get an idea which players you want to spend a little more time with than the next, to coach them up.

Even though cut-backs are only done at the end of camp, you still start striking names off the list, and bringing in people off the street who "might" have an iota of a chance of helping you down the road, if you can find a way to stash them on the practice squad.
So what you're saying is, despite the rhetoric that pre-season games have no value (other than generating revenue), having real, live, game speed observations of player's abilities has some use?

Yes, it does have some use. Especially when it comes to players who are on the bubble. The decisions as to whom will be kept is going to come down to which players they see offering the most under game conditions. Every year, one or two players will either play themselves onto the roster, or off the roster, and some who might not have ever been considered roster choices showed enough that they might be developed through the practice squad.

We have one battle already shaping up Kizer or Boyle? Then the issue of Wilkins is whether or not he's good enough to be on the practice squad.

There are other battles as well, and although they aren't for starting positions in most cases, they are for roster spots. There's also the battle for WR spots.

Last edited:
I know this was game 1 of preseason, I was not impressed by the D that was out there. Like Lombardi would shout, "Grab Grab Grab ._._will somebody start tackling!" That is what I saw from most of them.._._especially #44 Summers. On offense I like qb Boyle alot._._.I make him #2 behind ARod. Other than that TD catch, I was not too happy with #82 Moore and his drops. However I know this was only game 1 of preseason.

Back