Post Game: Green Bay defeats Seattle 28-23

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2020/1...-dumbest-mistakes-ranked-texans-seahawks-punt

4. The Seahawks stuck with single coverage on Davante Adams
Despite Aaron Rodgers throwing far more passes to Davante Adams than anybody else on his team, the Seahawks continued to leave the man in single coverage. Adams caught every pass thrown his way throughout the first three quarters, save for one that came on a reverse in the backfield.

So ... surely Seattle made some adjustments? Not exactly. Instead, they put one corner on him and left a safety too far back to help with sideline-to-sideline action, which the Packers quickly exploited.

522 people are talking about this

This was an incredible route by Adams, then a very smart decision to cut back a second time all the way across the field for the touchdown. The safety couldn’t make up the speed difference and the corner was badly beaten twice on the play.

The play went for a 40-yard touchdown, giving the Packers a 28-10 lead in the third quarter. It wouldn’t be the last time Adams roasted the Seattle secondary in man-to-man coverage in a vital moment either.

The Seahawks needed a third-and-8 stop to put the ball back in Russell Wilson’s hands with just over two minutes to play. Unfortunately, their defensive alignment also meant rookie safety Ugo Amadi, a rotational player with zero starts to his name, drew the short straw of covering a red-hot Adams.

Here’s that entirely predictable result.

743 people are talking about this

Aaron Rodgers, bad man. Seattle Seahawks, bad coverage.

2. Pete Carroll punted the ball back to Aaron Rodgers (and punted away his season)
In a vacuum, Pete Carroll’s decision to punt the ball back to Green Bay trailing 28-23 and facing fourth-and-11 with just under three minutes to play made some sense. NFL teams had only converted fourth down from that distance 12 times in 54 chances (22.2 percent) in 2019. His defense was riding high, as well. Seattle had forced back-to-back Packers punts to open the game’s final frame.

So Carroll punted the ball back — which fell in the end zone for a touchback — to Aaron Rodgers. That would be the Seahawks’ last possession of the 2019 season.

Rather than trust Russell Wilson and an offense that had scored a touchdown on each of its second-half drives to that point, Carroll deferred to a defense that struggled to contain Rodgers all evening. Even worse, his Seahawks had gained 11 or more yards on nine different plays in the third and fourth quarters Sunday.

Seattle’s explosive offense somehow wasn’t enough for one last ride with the game on the line — and that was all the Packers needed to salt the game away with two big completions (and one, uh, debatable spot).
I don't think they would have punted but Zadarius (or was it Preston?) got a huge sack there, pushing them back to 4th and 11, instead of 4th and 4.

Looking forward to next week. I think SF is playing like the better team but it only takes once good game plan and a couple big plays to beat any time at any time.

That's my concern. Shanahan knows ML so well. I'm hoping that they put a couple of wrinkles in the game plan.

I'll never forget when Favre was playing and went to SF...I think it was the early round of the play-offs and I was so shocked that we were winning, I couldn't stop jumping up and down.

Come on Pack, you can do this.cheesehead)cheesehead)

That's my concern. Shanahan knows ML so well. I'm hoping that they put a couple of wrinkles in the game plan.

I'll never forget when Favre was playing and went to SF...I think it was the early round of the play-offs and I was so shocked that we were winning, I couldn't stop jumping up and down.

Come on Pack, you can do this.cheesehead)cheesehead)

That was awesome! I remember it well and made reference to it in Shout, where I was talking about anything can happen. 9ers are tough, so tough, but ML and MP just have to come up with on game plan to take them down. No holds barred.

The Packers have put that humiliating loss earlier in the season in their rear-view mirror a long time ago. To them, this is a new season, and a new opportunity. They've matured, as a team, a lot since then. Enough to win? They're underdogs. They should be. But, when it comes right down to it, how could the Packers even be considered a competitor against any decent team in the NFL? Yet..... here we are! The NFC Championship game 6-days away.

The Packers have put that humiliating loss earlier in the season in their rear-view mirror a long time ago. To them, this is a new season, and a new opportunity. They've matured, as a team, a lot since then. Enough to win? They're underdogs. They should be. But, when it comes right down to it, how could the Packers even be considered a competitor against any decent team in the NFL? Yet..... here we are! The NFC Championship game 6-days away.
We hung with them until Bulaga left the game. Bosa was eating Alex Light alive.

That game was not a representative sample.

The Packers got a couple calls go their way, and so did Seattle (not a single holding call the entire game on their OL???). That was generally even.

But again, this kind of game comes down to making the play- Rodgers made several throws that were the level we expect from the 2-time MVP. Adams was big time all game, making the biggest plays. Jimmy Graham was clutch. The O was unreal on 3rd down.

But as good as the defense was at times, they left several out there. King dropped a pick. Several missed tackles of Wilson. Blown assignments containing Wilson. If the Packers are to play in the Super Bowl, the defense will need to come to play at an even higher level than Sunday.

Lets take a second to give MLF some props for this win.

Early in the year, like first couple games early, we had some redzone issues. Not Sunday. When we got inside the 5 he had the will and determination to continuously pound Jones to the left side. There is no way MM does that and it probably leads to one of the Jones TD's being 3 points.

1st and goal inside the 5. I don't think 3 runs behind Lewis, Bahk and Jenkins can be stopped. MLF knows it.

Back