Post Game GB VS Seattle preseason game 3

3rd RB options:

• Taylor: 33%
  • Wilson 33%
  • Neither 34%
I'd hang onto Wilson, but I didn't see him in there pass blocking much, so I doubt the Packers keep him over Taylor. It wouldn't shock me to see them both cut and attempt to get both on the PS to elevate them during the early season.

Newman vs Rhyan. Rhyan has looked pretty decent, but I still don't see him passing Newman. Both probably make it because there are not other backup Gs.

Interesting to see Runyan at C. I'm not sure I've heard him trying that before.

Safety: Savage and Ford starting. Johnson makes the backup. Leavitt was a team captain today so I assume he is on the team. Owens becomes questionable but probably makes it. Moore probably gets an injury waiver or maybe they "stash" him on the IR to return later?

CB: I think they simply go with four to start the season (Alexander, Douglas, Valentine, Nixon) Lots of options for the PS. Little risk of losing anyone as we have several that are pretty comparable. Stokes on the PUP gives him an automatic 5th CB later in the season.

OLB: Cox made a good final statement. I'm guessing he makes the cut.

DL: Ford didn't look so hot and was rather movable for such a mountain of a man. I give him 50/50 odds of making the 53 man.

K: Carson had a nice day. Might be an adventure, but the position is his. At least he has a good leg.

P: No idea. Both are punting well. Might come down to holding and experience vs cost and upside.

My stab at the 53/69 man roster:

QB (2) Love, Clifford
RB (3) Jones, Dillon, Taylor
WR (6) Watson, Doubs, Toure, Reed, Wicks, Heath
TE (4) DeGuara, Musgrave, Kraft, Waiver Pickup
OL (9) Bakhtiari, Jenkins, Myers, Runyan, Tom, Walker, Nijman, Rhyan, Jones

DL (6) Clark, Slaton, Wyatt, Wooden, Brooks, Ford
LB (4) Campbell, Walker, McDuffie, Carpenter
EDGE (6) Gary, Smith, Van Ness, Enagbare, Hollins, Cox
CB (5) Alexander, Ballentine, Douglas, Nixon, Valentine
S (5) Ford, Gaines, Johnson, Leavitt, Savage

ST (3) Carlson, O'Donnell, Orzech

Pup: Stokes

Traded: Newman

Practice Squad:

McGough
Tyler Goodson, Emanuel Wilson
Jadakis Bonds, Grant DuBose, Cody Chrest
Austin Allen
Cole Schneider, Kadeem Telfort, Luke Tenuta
Chris Slayton
Eric Wilson
Kiondre Thomas
Tarvarius Moore, Jonathan Owens
Daniel Whelan

3rd RB options:

• Taylor: 33%
  • Wilson 33%
  • Neither 34%
I'd hang onto Wilson, but I didn't see him in there pass blocking much, so I doubt the Packers keep him over Taylor. It wouldn't shock me to see them both cut and attempt to get both on the PS to elevate them during the early season.

Newman vs Rhyan. Rhyan has looked pretty decent, but I still don't see him passing Newman. Both probably make it because there are not other backup Gs.

Interesting to see Runyan at C. I'm not sure I've heard him trying that before.

Safety: Savage and Ford starting. Johnson makes the backup. Leavitt was a team captain today so I assume he is on the team. Owens becomes questionable but probably makes it. Moore probably gets an injury waiver or maybe they "stash" him on the IR to return later?

CB: I think they simply go with four to start the season (Alexander, Douglas, Valentine, Nixon) Lots of options for the PS. Little risk of losing anyone as we have several that are pretty comparable. Stokes on the PUP gives him an automatic 5th CB later in the season.

OLB: Cox made a good final statement. I'm guessing he makes the cut.

DL: Ford didn't look so hot and was rather movable for such a mountain of a man. I give him 50/50 odds of making the 53 man.

K: Carson had a nice day. Might be an adventure, but the position is his. At least he has a good leg.

P: No idea. Both are punting well. Might come down to holding and experience vs cost and upside.

I just don't get the need for Leavitt for STs.

It made sense on an older team with a number of guys who weren't going to be playing STs. WRers, you weren't gonna have Cobbs, Lazard(last year as the #1), Watson or Doubs play as much STs. Toure was inactive.

If we're going younger, we have guys who have the potential to contribute on offense or defense and be core STers. Ballentine. He's a nice 5th CB, he's played a little safety. Carpenter will make the team, Wilson, Heath, Toure, Johnson. Hollins at Edge. It just seems like a waste of a roster spot to have dedicated STers who aren't Tasker or Slater type aces on this final 53 man.

I don't disagree he'll make it, it just doesn't make sense to me.
The only other thing I didn't really see was Ford getting moved. They doubled him a couple times, but thought he held his ground and even split the double teams pretty well. He was in there with Wooden when Seattle started running more power running and doubling at the point.

I'm seeing a lot of beat writers with 7 WRers(Dubose) 3 RB, but Taylor(he's not gonna get picked up, just elevate him if you need)...3 TEs(with Deguara if you want to call him that). 6 Edge. Bukowski had Deguara and Pearson both making the team, so...that's just silly.

They have given 4 players now(other than Hanson) reps at Center and that doesn't include Jenkins. JRJ looked the best there, but I didn't get to see Tom in there.

I've also seen Wheelan projected to land on the PS in a lot of projections. They save 1.15M and I think that's worth it IF he can hold. If he's not a good holder...you risk ruining Carlson as it seems like it's all about confidence with him.

Like I said when I made my own, there are going to be 5-6 moves the Packers make that I wouldn't. Leavitt, 2 RBs, Owens at S, a 7th WRer and probably just the 5 OLBers(Enagbare has been outstanding this pre-season, so it's not like they don't have depth even without Gary).

As an aside, McGough looked impressive...for a 3rd stringer that wasn't on a team long before camp started.

Out of 13 draft picks 11 make roster. Nichols and DuBose are cut but both could end up on the PS. 2 UDFA make the team Cox and Heath.

QB (2) Love, Clifford

Practice Squad:

McGough
Austin Allen
Chris Slayton
Eric Wilson
Kiondre Thomas
Daniel Whelan
Nice one. My only quibble might be Gaines over Owens, I just dont think Gaines has looked good but that’s minor.

QB (2) Love, Clifford

Practice Squad:

McGough
Austin Allen
Chris Slayton
Eric Wilson
Kiondre Thomas
Daniel Whelan
Mostly agree with a few differences:
I think they keep 2 RBs. I could see them keeping 10 OL.
Agree on a waiver pickup at TE, Kraft isn't ready and they will want a blocking TE who can play ST.

I think Owens makes it over Gaines at safety, but just barely. Could also be a spot where they pickup a roster cut.

Agree Heath, Brenton Cox and big Johnathon Ford probably make the roster but are game day inactives.

I think they will IR or come to an injury settlement with Goodson and Tenuta and (if injury settled) sign them to PS later in the season.
Royce Newman is really on the bubble. It depends on what they think of their IOL depth, which is not great. I think Njiman is more likely to be traded than Newman. Newman doesn't have a lot of trade value IMO -- his starting experience as a rookie is important, but he's regressed since then and that recent film is not good.

I'd probably pick a few different players for PS, but that's kind of a crapshoot based on if they can get people resigned there. They'll sign 2 RBs to PS, I'd think Taylor and Wilson. Goodson has an AC joint injury and that could keep him out most/all of the season if it's serious.

Mostly agree with a few differences:
I think they keep 2 RBs. I could see them keeping 10 OL.
Agree on a waiver pickup at TE, Kraft isn't ready and they will want a blocking TE who can play ST.

I think Owens makes it over Gaines at safety, but just barely. Could also be a spot where they pickup a roster cut.

Agree Heath, Brenton Cox and big Johnathon Ford probably make the roster but are game day inactives.

I think they will IR or come to an injury settlement with Goodson and Tenuta and (if injury settled) sign them to PS later in the season.
Royce Newman is really on the bubble. It depends on what they think of their IOL depth, which is not great. I think Njiman is more likely to be traded than Newman. Newman doesn't have a lot of trade value IMO -- his starting experience as a rookie is important, but he's regressed since then and that recent film is not good.

I'd probably pick a few different players for PS, but that's kind of a crapshoot based on if they can get people resigned there. They'll sign 2 RBs to PS, I'd think Taylor and Wilson. Goodson has an AC joint injury and that could keep him out most/all of the season if it's serious.
I think Cox and Ford could be game day inactives but at this point I think Heath is the #4 WR. Wicks is mostly likey going to be the WR inactive on gamedays.

Only thing I know is that this years roster is a transition year and will look much different next season. So the bottom roster decisions won’t bother me, neither will older vets or questionable vets getting cut.

Agree with most of what's being said.

FWIW I think they'll only keep 2 RBs and 3 TEs including Deguara. They'll look to add another TE from another team. I think they keep Cox and Ford and probably 5 ILBs to make up for the lack of TEs for special teams. I think there is a decent chance they cut Levitt to keep a younger guy. I think Rhyan makes the 53 and Newman is gone. They will find a guard for the PS and count on the versatility of Tom, Jenkins and JRJ to fill in as needed if an inside guy is injured.

I think they have 5 worthy guys at CB (JA, Nixon, Douglas, Valentine, and Balentine) only 4 at S, so I think they go that way knowing Carpenter and Balentine can fill in at safety if they have a couple of injuries.

Back