Post Game: Falcons run by GB 25-24

I gotta respectfully disagree :)

The offense who is missing it’s LT, 1WR, and 1RB gave the def a double digit lead in the fourth. A stacked def should be able to protect that …. If the bar for def accountability is the offense has to sustain every single possession or they tire out that’s a pretty low bar…

The offense who is missing it’s LT, 1WR, and 1RB gave the def a double digit lead in the fourth. A stacked def should be able to protect that …. If the bar for def accountability is the offense has to sustain every single possession or they tire out that’s a pretty low bar…
I wasn't indicating that they had to sustain all drives. They were fine in the first half. Fine through 3 quarters. Then they went conservative and the game was in the crapper. I've seen it repeated over and over again, and it's getting old. LeFleur narrows the play book down to just a few plays that he considers "safe." Conservative plays. First down is always a run. They put 8 in the box, and we get stuffed. Then they know where we're going from there. Two passes. Then we punt.

Just the statement that the offense is badly dinged indicates what I'm talking about. If they were healthy, maybe, just maybe, we would have moved the ball and Love could have avoided the bone-headed mistake. The fact is, and you verified it, the offense was a non-show in crunch time. Yet, here we are, attacking the defense for not being supermen.

I'm sorry. I'm not going to agree with you guys on this one. I know what I saw, and I knew what I was going to find when it came to stats. They backed up what I thought.

But, everyone's entitled to their opinion. But, I sure as hell won't change mine on this one. But, that's what discussions are all about. :)

Your offense with only 1 first round pick should not have to sustain every single drive to cover for your first and second round pick stacked defense. Love set the team up to win with a double digit lead into the fourth. This is all on the def….
I look at it as they were )
Would someone like Zimmer be worth looking into? Not a good HC but he can coach the hell out of a defense.
What's Lovey Smith up to?

How about just sustain 1 in the 4th? I beat up on this defense enough but it seems like the same song and dance, even when AR was here.

Packers have a lot of high picks on defense. Perhaps it's not the players and the scheme. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Packers keep running the same scheme which fails to get the job down over and over.

I wasn't indicating that they had to sustain all drives. They were fine in the first half. Fine through 3 quarters. Then they went conservative and the game was in the crapper. I've seen it repeated over and over again, and it's getting old. LeFleur narrows the play book down to just a few plays that he considers "safe." Conservative plays. First down is always a run. They put 8 in the box, and we get stuffed. Then they know where we're going from there. Two passes. Then we punt.

Just the statement that the offense is badly dinged indicates what I'm talking about. If they were healthy, maybe, just maybe, we would have moved the ball and Love could have avoided the bone-headed mistake. The fact is, and you verified it, the offense was a non-show in crunch time. Yet, here we are, attacking the defense for not being supermen.

I'm sorry. I'm not going to agree with you guys on this one. I know what I saw, and I knew what I was going to find when it came to stats. They backed up what I thought.

But, everyone's entitled to their opinion. But, I sure as hell won't change mine on this one. But, that's what discussions are all about. :)
The team has shortcomings all over and we saw them on offense in the 4th. The first mistake IMO was ML going away from the offense that he ran for the previous 3 quarters. They had a lead, there was no reason to move to a static, situational call sheet. But OK he did, so what does that mean? Well, in practice it means he was asking 1.) his WR to win consistently against man in obvious throw situations and 2.) his QB to consistently make tight window throws. I like Romeo Doubs, I like Wicks, I like Reed but like most young WR they are not able to do that, at least not yet and with consistency, playing a full game's worth of snaps. And Love wasn't able to hit them either. That 4th down throw to Toure was spectacular, but Toure couldn't hold on to the ball and Love couldn't replicate it on other downs. So there's inconsistency with the QB as well, and probably will continue to be throughout the season. And yes that's also where the injuries come in. Watson is the most physically gifted player on offense. Jones is far and away their best RB and a legit match-up problem for defenses in the passing game. DB is a top 2 pass blocker in the NFL. All 3 were unavailable, SOL.

BUT, with all respect TW, I do not consider asking a defense to hold a 12 pt lead for a quarter to be asking them to be supermen. That D is ostensibly purpose built to close out games playing with a lead in the 4th, they were exactly where they wanted to be and they all just melted down. There is something wrong there with that group.

The team has shortcomings all over and we saw them on offense in the 4th. The first mistake IMO was ML going away from the offense that he ran for the previous 3 quarters. They had a lead, there was no reason to move to a static, situational call sheet. But OK he did, so what does that mean? Well, in practice it means he was asking 1.) his WR to win consistently against man in obvious throw situations and 2.) his QB to consistently make tight window throws. I like Romeo Doubs, I like Wicks, I like Reed but like most young WR they are not able to do that, at least not yet and with consistency, playing a full game's worth of snaps. And Love wasn't able to hit them either. That 4th down throw to Toure was spectacular, but Toure couldn't hold on to the ball and Love couldn't replicate it on other downs. So there's inconsistency with the QB as well, and probably will continue to be throughout the season. And yes that's also where the injuries come in. Watson is the most physically gifted player on offense. Jones is far and away their best RB and a legit match-up problem for defenses in the passing game. DB is a top 2 pass blocker in the NFL. All 3 were unavailable, SOL.

BUT, with all respect TW, I do not consider asking a defense to hold a 12 pt lead for a quarter to be asking them to be supermen. That D is ostensibly purpose built to close out games playing with a lead in the 4th, they were exactly where they wanted to be and they all just melted down. There is something wrong there with that group.
I'm not absolving the defense of responsibility whatsoever. But, it goes back to the fact that they had only surrendered 12 points over 3 quarters. That's pretty good. What happened in the 4th quarter, that didn't happen during the first 3? It starts with the inept offense, and then the defense trying to play like they were in a prevent defense. That's on the coaching staff, not on the players. Not even that exempts the players. They did a lousy job too. What it boils down to is that it goes far beyond the defensive players. It goes to coaching on defense, and on offense. That's where the problem is. They just plain don't understand that they need to do the things that they were for the first three quarters during the 4th. You even stated that yourself, and so have others.

It's all these little things combined that's killing them, and has kept them away from the big games over the last several years. The record shows it. They forget what go them to a given point. They quit following their abilities through poor game planning.

Unfortunately, the Pack was blacked out in San Diego so I didn't get to see it. Reading this discussion is disturbing. With only a 2 score lead, it is lunacy to attempt to run clock out and play prevent defense the entire 4th. He'll, it's lunacy to do it for 2 minutes.

Defense is still soft.

Coaches are softer and dumber

I think our defense is GOOD. But they were gassed. Nothing left in the tank against that heavy run game. The good news and the bad news.

Love hits that crosser to Doubs, in the 4th, that's another 7 points. Offense and Defense are better than people think. We're ok. Young QB, we'll get those. (Not to jinx.)

How about just sustain 1 in the 4th? I beat up on this defense enough but it seems like the same song and dance, even when AR was here.
heck, i think they just needed to get one 1st down in the 4th quarter to seal the deal. i know everyone wants to blame this loss on the defense (i have also been on that bandwagon), but let's turn the tables a bit. a lot of folks have been saying "the offense was good for three quarters and they built up a double-digit lead so the defense should have held for one quarter. what those people seem to forget is that the defense also did their job for three quarters - giving up only 12 points. both sides of the ball let down their guard in the final quarter. a big part of it was play calling, but player execution also sucked. the o-line couldn't protect or open holes for dillon (who isn't fast enough to run outside). dillon tripped over his own feet twice. love, who played a really nice game for 3 quarters threw 6 passes in the 4th and wasn't able to complete one of them. our young receivers seemed to forget how to run the right routes. and we have already gone over the defensive issues ad nauseum. i just think there is plenty of blame to go around.

Back