Pets

Scoremore12

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
I know there was a pet thread on the old site. I wanted to share pictures of my black lab, Homer. He will be 10 next month. Was a wild man when younger but the last 6-7 years he calmed down a lot and has been a great and loyal buddy. Always happy to see me when I come home, always wants attention and of course constant appetite. Wouldn't trade him for any mother dog.

Lately he has run into some health problems. He had gradually been eating less and less, then stopped eating dry food for 2 full days. You could tell something was bothering him. I gave him canned food and he ate it right up. I took him to the vet a couple weeks back and he had an exam and a blood test. The vet found no lumps and the blood tests were all normal. Later that week I took him to another local vet for a 2nd opinion and xrays (first vet didn't have xray equipment). They did a xray and he has a large tumor on his spleen. The vet showed me the xrays and said it is about the size of a cantelope and pressing on his stomach, that's why he wont eat dry food,... it soaks up moisture and expands, causing him pain. The only way to see if it is malignant or not, is to do surgery and remove the spleen and tumor. Even then, there are no guarantees. She felt based on how fast he lost the weight, is how fast the tumor grew, and with his very minimal activity, she gave it a 65% chance of being malignant. She gave me prednisone to make him comfortable. This was one of the hardest and worst decisions I ever had to make. I couldn't stand to see him suffer.... I decided on having the surgery. I know its a lot of money, and if its cancer and has spread, it wont help him much. But it is the only chance he has of a "cure" and living the rest of his life normal. He has no chance if nothing is done as the growth will keep growing and eventually will rupture and he will bleed out inside, a horrible way to go, and I just coudnt stand to see him suffer.

Here are some pictures.......

http://s897.photobucket.com/user/RobD70/library/?sort=3&page=1

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
I would do the same.... I pray they can help Homer. You're a good man doing the best for him. Thanks for sharing

GBP4EVER

Sorry to hear that. Pets become like family and we often are willing to do everything we can to keep them with us.

Packinatl

Lost my black lab over 2 years ago. He would have been 14 today. Still hurts like hell

GBP4EVER

This will be a good thread to bring pack of people fur babies.

HeartyHops

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Homer is such a good looking boy!

I'm so sorry to hear of his health problems. Has he had his surgery yet? How is he doing?

They really are our best friends.

WatertownPackerFan

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Very sorry to hear of Homer's health problems :(

You should be commended for being such a devoted owner. God Bless You. My prayers are with you for a positive result

Scoremore12

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
I take him in this Weds morning, 4/29/15 and sometime later that day, they do the surgery. She was booked for her normal surgical appointments til May 11th, but made room as she knew the seriousness of leaving that growth in there to get bigger. Im hoping it hasn't spread all over and hope it is not cancerous. His blood work was normal, which was for blood counts and kidney and liver function and she said his breathing sounded fine to. So with that, Im hoping it didn't spread. He eats his caned food well, so has his appetite yet. He had lost 20 lbs when he stopped eating dry food, but with something that big in him, I can see why. It is hard to believe something the size of a cantalope is in him. It might sound bad, but I want to see a picture of it once removed. He is 60 lbs now, so that thing could be another 5 lbs or so.

Nice looking dogs you have there......

HeartyHops

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Thanks! They're not spoiled rotten or anything. :rolleyes:

We'll be thinking of Homer and you on Wed. FCC(FCC(FCC(