Paul Chryst has a high bar for Wisconsin's offense

JakeKocoB5Q

Reaction score
usa-today-8724576.0.jpg

Speaking at Big Ten media days, Paul Chryst talked Corey Clement and the direction of Wisconsin's offense.

CHICAGO -- Paul Chryst is back in Madison and he hopes to bring with him the offensive success from his first Badgers coaching tenure.

Before leaving for three seasons as head coach at Pittsburgh, Chryst served as offensive coordinator at Wisconsin where his offenses led the Big Ten in scoring from 2009-2011. Speaking Thursday at Big Ten media days in Chicago, Chryst relived the results of his last stop in Madison.

"We were able to have a lot of success, and I think there’s certain core fundamentals, cornerstones that we believe in," Chryst said. "I think we believe in it because it’s best for the University of Wisconsin, best for the kids that we can attract."

The main cornerstone of Wisconsin offenses for the past two-plus decades has been running the ball. Last season, Melvin Gordon rushed for 2,587 yards, the second most all-time, and finished as the runner-up in Heisman Trophy voting.

His replacement this season will be junior running back Corey Clement, who rushed for 949 yards on 6.5 yards per carry last season.

"He knows he doesn't have to be Melvin, he doesn't have to be James."

"I like the way that I think Corey's got a clear expectation of what it is to be the running back at Wisconsin," Chryst said. "I've had some great conversations with Corey in that he knows who he is. He knows he doesn't have to be Melvin, he doesn't have to be James [White]. And so I like where he's at right now."

Clement appears prepared to take the step toward becoming the next great Wisconsin running back.

"It's my time to have the torch," he told ESPN Radio. "Melvin passed it to me and I think I'm ready for it."

More: Big Ten media days live blog Preseason USA Today coaches poll released

In each of Chryst's last three seasons, the Badgers offense led the Big Ten in scoring and churned out NFL products such as Russell Wilson, Montee Ball, Peter Konz, Kevin Zeitler and Scott Tolzien. Throw in the loss of Gordon this season, and there’s a high precedent for Wisconsin to live up to.

"I've been a part of offenses that have had a lot of success," Chryst said. "None of that equals success in the future."

More updates to this story coming later.

Continue reading...

Back