Patrick Johnson leaves Badgers for personal reasons

I would say 95% of SEC schools do, maybe Vandy the exception.

I have no idea as to what percentage, but I'd guess it's high. I don't support the idea of doing it, but let's face reality. Coaches jobs, and being competitive, are on the line. Everyone does whatever they can to hang on to that job. When I hear how 3 or 4 planes will be taking the players to bowl games, and I know that the band is going by bus, I raise an eyebrow. Especially when each plane handles 250-350 people. We're talking 1,000 to 1,400 people. Lots of family, and mixed in, a ton of donors getting the royal treatment in hotels, and in all the team activities. At the end of the party, when these people get home, the check books come out, and they're hoping to be booked into next year's party. If you should happen to make the playoffs, and get that extra game, the checks get bigger and bigger, and more people come on board with donations - hoping to get a seat on a flight. That's when the increase by one more flight, and before you know it, you've booked half of another one if you want.

I don't know how many of these flights were sponsored by the school, and how many were sponsored through travel groups, but I do know it cost $700 - $800 through an agency. I'd expect the difference from school charters is how many free rides, and interaction with the AD and his underlings are included. These are deeply guarded secrets from what I'd guess.

I have no idea as to what percentage, but I'd guess it's high. I don't support the idea of doing it, but let's face reality. Coaches jobs, and being competitive, are on the line. Everyone does whatever they can to hang on to that job. When I hear how 3 or 4 planes will be taking the players to bowl games, and I know that the band is going by bus, I raise an eyebrow. Especially when each plane handles 250-350 people. We're talking 1,000 to 1,400 people. Lots of family, and mixed in, a ton of donors getting the royal treatment in hotels, and in all the team activities. At the end of the party, when these people get home, the check books come out, and they're hoping to be booked into next year's party. If you should happen to make the playoffs, and get that extra game, the checks get bigger and bigger, and more people come on board with donations - hoping to get a seat on a flight. That's when the increase by one more flight, and before you know it, you've booked half of another one if you want.

I don't know how many of these flights were sponsored by the school, and how many were sponsored through travel groups, but I do know it cost $700 - $800 through an agency. I'd expect the difference from school charters is how many free rides, and interaction with the AD and his underlings are included. These are deeply guarded secrets from what I'd guess.

I can tell you the UW band does not travel to bowl games by bus and the team takes a charter flight, all paid for by UW athletics not 3 or 4 planes. And the team takes a bus to Iowa and I believe Northwestern for away games. As to boosters it depends, perks = level of contribution, as to Wisconsin its outlined in the Badger Fund disclosure. There are certain packages sold by the school / alumni association for all bowl game and away football games, that is separate form booster perks. And those package are overpriced compared to what you can do on your own.

Back