Packers Training Camp 2018 Dark Horse Players To Watch ?

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Camp is upon us who are your dark horse players this year?

I really like Tyler Lancaster as a NT, NW used him as a goal line blocker at times so he can fill that role as well. Couple other names I 'll be watching are Conor Sheehy DE and Tim Boyle the QB from EKU. Who are you watching ?

I think Equanimeous St. Brown could make some noise. Many thought he could have been drafted much sooner then he was and with being the 3rd of 3 draft choices at WR he will be facing a uphill battle to make the team.

Over the years, I have been able to single out one or two players that I felt might hit the mark, but this year is different. I almost feel like this is a team on the downside, and will stick with guys who've been there, even though they might not have a higher potential level than someone coming in. This happens with coaching staffs that are under fire. They look for shelter within their experienced players, and hope they can get them to move one step further up the ladder.

I think we're going to see a couple guys cut who end up being pretty good players somewhere else.

Emanuel Byrd (TE) is kind of an interesting cat I'll be watching on offense. Defense will be all about those rookie CB.

Unless injury happens with the TE's we have don't know if he will have much of chance to make the team.

Any of the rook WRs....many have stated how particular AR and MM are about the WRs, so any of them producing will be good.

i'm going to preface this post by saying that i don't consider any player that was drafted to be a "dark horse". every one of them is more likely than not going to make the team. when mark says "dark horse", i'm thinking about the undrafted rookies and the guys from the practice squad. having said that, after the draft, i felt like we didn't do a very good job of picking up the best undrafted players. like mark, i'll be watching conor sheehy pretty closely because i'd love to see another badger make the team. i'll be paying attention to naashon hughes, who was a hybrid linebacker/defensive end for texas. raven greene piques my interest as possible depth at safety (34 passes defended and 14 interceptions at james madison). and just maybe there will be a role for ahmad thomas, who played safety at oklahoma but the packers have listed as a linebacker (220 pounds seems a little light for that position though). i hadn't really considered tyler lancaster before, but now mark has got me interested.

i'm going to preface this post by saying that i don't consider any player that was drafted to be a "dark horse". every one of them is more likely than not going to make the team. when mark says "dark horse", i'm thinking about the undrafted rookies and the guys from the practice squad. having said that, after the draft, i felt like we didn't do a very good job of picking up the best undrafted players. like mark, i'll be watching conor sheehy pretty closely because i'd love to see another badger make the team. i'll be paying attention to naashon hughes, who was a hybrid linebacker/defensive end for texas. raven greene piques my interest as possible depth at safety (34 passes defended and 14 interceptions at james madison). and just maybe there will be a role for ahmad thomas, who played safety at oklahoma but the packers have listed as a linebacker (220 pounds seems a little light for that position though). i hadn't really considered tyler lancaster before, but now mark has got me interested.

So the 6th and 7th rounders aren't dark horses? I would argue that they are compared to the practice squad guys because they haven't played in the system.

I have my eye on Reggie Gilbert.
Finished very strong last year. I am hoping he takes the next leap. Especially, with our injury issues at OLB.
Also, Lancaster on the D line is intriguing. He had 40 tackles, 9 for a loss, and 2 sacks.
From what I have read his rush skills are not great but he stuffs the run.

Back