Packers Roll Saints 38-10

Great game for the last pres season game at least .

Just finished watching the preseason game. MVP of the preseason goes to Hundley. Is he really a rookie!? Even Rodgers didn't perform that well in his rookie preseason. (I'm not saying Hundley is > Rodgers), I'm just surprised how quickly Hundley's game grew. WAY faster than I expected. I dunno if the quality of the competition was so poor, but he definitely gets the Mr. August title this summer.

Runner up MVP has to be, All he does is catch Touchdowns Jeff Janis. He actually scored on a play that was not a go route. Yay!

Gunter also had a great preseason. Out of the 3 rookie DBs he looks the most ready. He's not perfect but he is showing his skills on STs and though he got beat on a long throw, he had an excellent recovery to bat the ball away. Excellent play. He's probably my defensive MVP of the preseason.

The other thing that got me fairly happy was seeing a long look at the combo of Joe Thomas and Jake Ryan. Jake Ryan was sometimes the lone LB at times. Both guys showed aggressiveness and seemed to be around the action, unlike our normal inside LBs who seem to get lost in trash or fall down. I saw Jake Ryan at least 3 times knife through everything and hit the RB. Damn have not seen that in a LONG LONG TIME. Granted Jake Ryan was going against scrubs, but it was promising. I felt Jake Ryan and Joe Thomas were more impressive than Nate Palmer or anyone else at ILB. Again the quality of the competition makes it difficult to directly compare. I hope the performance is something to build on, maybe Jake is good enough to replace Nate after a few more weeks. They also seemed more able to handle RBs who run out on passing plays. Jake still has some polishing and his pass rushing is a work in progress.

I'm not excited about the combo of Sam and Nate as our starting duo.

RIP looked good as a lead blocker and has a nice TD catch called back. RIP has way more pop in his blocks than Kuhn.

Banjo looked decent in the 2nd half, he had a tip that lead to a pick and then topped it off with a pick of his own. He didnt look as good in the first half playing against the Saints mix of starters and 2nd stringers.

Pinkard's play was exciting, not often you see a 77 yarder, Abby had a nice block to help make sure Pinkard only had 1 man to beat.

I was really excited to see Abby play. On the good side I thought he showed potential as a PR (aside from his fumble...ugh, hope that was a fluke). He started out with an 18yrd and around 7 or 8 yard return before they started kicking away from him. Abby also always had great downfield blocking. He always seemed to be helping his teammates get extra YAC blocking downfield, he didn't shy away from contact at all, he was always looking to lock someone up or give them an extra shoulder.

The downside...I did not see Abby get separation at all, not even in the 4th quarter against scrubs. Felt bad, I dunno if he lost speed or the ability to burst and separate or what, but even on plays where he wasn't a target the DB was all over him. He's not going to make it in the NFL if that's the case.
icon_frown.gif
I hope he's just rusty.

Myles White was shining against the scrubs. He also got himself into the open field so he could show off his speed. He's a productive 5th WR that's for sure. I still don't see him much more than that.

Harris looked good, Crockett also showed some good running, I think both are going to find a job somewhere after the packers cut them and try to stash them on the PS.

On the TE Perillo looked slow. Like a slow moose. Backmann looks like the worthy #3.

I noticed Barclay was back on the right side looking much better. He was switching up between RG and RT and looked more comfortable.

Our front 7 to start the game looked like swiss cheese again. Not a good sign. Boy they look soft between Philly and now the beginning of the Saints game.

Rollins seems like a good tackler and good in coverage. Randall had an off day. Still seems there are miscommunications when they start playing more zone.

Well Preseason is over. Still feel this is a strong team, but have the nagging feeling Rodgers and the offense is going to have to carry this team, AGAIN. Nothing showing me STs and defense will be anything but average at best.

Here are some of the highlights from coach Mike McCarthy's postgame press conference after the Packers beat the Saints, 38-10 Thursday night in the fourth and final preseason game:

Continue reading...

nice write-up, reasonablysober. i went into the preseason with extremely low expectations for hundley based on two posters on this forum' opinions of just how horrible a quarterback he is. in the third preseason game hundley had a qb rating of over 111. last night, he had a qb rating of almost 150. i totally get that this is preseason and that hundley has not been playing against starting defenses. i'm not prepared to anoint him as the successor to aaron rodgers at this point. but man, what a pleasant surprise.

i pretty much agreed with everything that you wrote re: janis, gunter, ryan, rip, banjo, white, and (sadly) abby. i also agree that there wasn't anything about the preseason that was encouraging about our defensive front seven or our special teams.

If we run screens even half as often as we ran them this preseason, I'll be pleasantly surprised. Sure it was probably a combination of substandard o-line play and playing against backup defenders, but we've sure missed it the last few years.

Back