Packers ready to do 'some different things' in free agency this year

I read that "the 30 percent rule" could have a real bad effect on what the Packers can/can't do in free agency this year.
Packers will have a hard time with signing bonuses and guaranteed rosters bonuses beyond year 1 (2020) of any new contracts. This could be a real stumbling block when it comes to extending anyone of significance, but especially Clark, Crosby, and/or Bulaga.

30 Percent Rule

The 30% Rule is a requirement that affects contracts that run past the end of the current Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA). The rule stipulates that a player’s salary cannot rise more than 30% of his salary for the final CBA year in subsequent seasons. This impacts how teams can structure contracts, particularly with respect to backloading deals to save money in the near term.

Clark they will do what they have to. Bulaga IMO is not an issue because someone is going to offer him ~$12m a year and we are not going to touch that. Maybe Crosby is a casualty there.

Clark they will do what they have to. Bulaga IMO is not an issue because someone is going to offer him ~$12m a year and we are not going to touch that. Maybe Crosby is a casualty there.
IMO Crosby is a guy you maybe consider tagging the tag is I think around $5 million use that to end up maybe if you have doing 2 year 10 million dollar deal with $5 SB

I wouldn't be shocked if they waited on Clark until sometime in TC, and hope that they can get a new CBA in place so they don't get hamstrung on his contract with the 30 percent rule.
Gute may be forced to front load any contracts because of that rule.
That could mean Bulaga and Crosby both walk, and they wait on Clark.

I’m reading there is a report that packers intend to pursue ILB Nick Kwiatkoski in free agency.
I suggested this back in mid January.
I think he would be someone you could build the position around and would be a good fit in MP’s defense

Danno I also read they are interested in Joe Schobert from Cleveland, and I’m sure we’ve all heard the Austin Hooper rumor.

Here is what’s happening: due to last years splurge, GB is now a bit of a buzzy team with agents again. Combine convos and basic connect the dots with roster holes are leading agents to float these rumors to drive up interest and name recognition for their clients. You couldn’t do this with Teds Packers because everyone knew how Ted operated. Gute did something out of the ordinary last year that changed the narrative about GB (and to be fair I think he tried to be aggressive the year before as well, to the extent he could with ARs contract) so get used to more of this sort of thing.

Hooper would surprise me a little, these other guys would cover that ILB spot going into the draft. Gutey will set himself up so he won't have to reach.

Back