Packers Pre-draft visits

GBP4EVER

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
2022 Draft Guru
Reaction score
In the past Ted has often used pre-draft visits for guys who would be likely UDFA and would be a prority UDFA.

This year according to this list from Walters the Packers have brought in a few 1st round talents in. One very interesting name is Jaylon Smith the injuried ND ILB.

Willie Beavers, OT, Western Michigan (COM)
James Bradberry, CB, Samford (SR)
Kevin Byard^, S, Middle Tennessee (WOR, PRI)
Darion Griswold, TE, Arkansas State (PRO)
Chris Jones, DT/3-4DE, Mississippi State (COM)
Bronson Kaufusi, DE/3-4DE, Brigham Young (STM)
Jay Lee, WR, Baylor (PRO)
Kolby Listenbee, WR, TCU (COM)
Mitch Mathews, WR, Brigham Young (PRI)
Dadi Lhomme Nicolas, OLB, Virginia Tech (PRO)
Reggie Ragland^, ILB, Alabama (SR, COM)
Eric Rawls, CB, Kentucky State (PRO)
Luke Rhodes, ILB, William & Mary (PRO)
Alonzo Russell, WR, Toledo (PRO)
Jaylon Smith, OLB/ILB, Notre Dame (COM)
Noah Spence, OLB/DE/3-4OLB, Eastern Kentucky (PRI)

Everyone brought him to check on the knee. Huge risk in drafting him early
Friday is the big recheck for medicals in Indianapolis. That's just for the wonks though, every team has their own recheck on these guys. If the Pack medical staff thinks he will heal eventually, but not contribute this year - I would love to see TT make an 'out of the box' move and at some point in the second round (LA has two second round picks) trade our #1 pick next year for a mid round 2nd and take Jaylon Smith. He is a special player and a great kid. It wouldn't even impact this years draft. Almost like taking a 'futures' pick like they had in the late 60s.

I normally don't like trading future 1st Rd picks, because you don't know if you are dealing pick #12 or pick #28. Weird things can happen. That said, with what the Pack has returning, it's highly unlikely that next year's first is anything lower than the low 20s so not that big a deal. I'd do consider that deal to take Jaylon Smith.

In fact, I would not really object to just plain using this year's first to take him depending on what's there and keeping next year's first. When you look at the positions of need and the likely guys who will be available, you either take an OT, DT, ILB, OLB or CB. The OT is kind of a luxury that early and a serviceable guy can be had later perhaps. The DT you get in Rd 1 may not be much different than the DT you get in Rd 2.

For ILBs it seems like there isn't really a strong group. A guy like Ragland has as many detractors as supporters. The rest are smaller guys or slower guys. I'd say a healthy Smith is better than the bunch so worth the risk. OLB has a few top end guys, but they are likely gone. Really don't need a Rd 1 CB so I could see passing on that position as well. If you are worried about the fall-off that pundits are saying happens around #40-45 then deal your 4th to move up a bit in Rd 2.

Friday is the big recheck for medicals in Indianapolis. That's just for the wonks though, every team has their own recheck on these guys. If the Pack medical staff thinks he will heal eventually, but not contribute this year - I would love to see TT make an 'out of the box' move and at some point in the second round (LA has two second round picks) trade our #1 pick next year for a mid round 2nd and take Jaylon Smith. He is a special player and a great kid. It wouldn't even impact this years draft. Almost like taking a 'futures' pick like they had in the late 60s.
Not great news from Jaylon Smith medical re-check:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
#ND LB Jaylon Smith, who was a top 5 pick before the injury, is expected to sit out 2016. Many teams believe he'll be back to form in 2017.
Note that it says "many teams". Not all.

Yea, with as convervative as the Packs medical staff seems to be I would believe Mr. Smith is off their board.
Too bad. He's a great kid.

Nerve damage is biggest concern IMO. Can check out bone and ligaments, but nerves are funny, strange. No timetable on them. Somenheal quick and some never heal or take years. Other than a late round flier and that is a big IF and who is left on the board, he's off my board for the Pack. It's a bad break for the kid. (No pun intended)

Nerve damage is biggest concern IMO. Can check out bone and ligaments, but nerves are funny, strange. No timetable on them. Somenheal quick and some never heal or take years. Other than a late round flier and that is a big IF and who is left on the board, he's off my board for the Pack. It's a bad break for the kid. (No pun intended)

I'd still take him with a 6th or 7th based on potential and the fact that many late rounders flame out anyway.

I have a hunch a lot of nerve injuries heal weird because people who need longer to heal jump back in too quickly since like you said it's hard to predict. If GB grabbed him in 6 or 7 with the idea that he really will sit out 2016 I'd be cool with it.

Didn't that center Mike Flanagan we had back in the late 90s have nerve damage but recovered and played well for us? He ended up having a 12 year career even if it wasn't all in GB.

I'd be cool with it if we took Smith in the 3rd, frankly, if the doctors think his nerve damage will heal. Its been eons since we've had the chance to draft a top 5 prospect. I doubt he'll last past the 3rd.

Didn't that center Mike Flanagan we had back in the late 90s have nerve damage but recovered and played well for us? He ended up having a 12 year career even if it wasn't all in GB.

I'd be cool with it if we took Smith in the 3rd, frankly, if the doctors think his nerve damage will heal. Its been eons since we've had the chance to draft a top 5 prospect. I doubt he'll last past the 3rd.

He had injury in TC after they drafted him. But yes took 2 years for him to heal and had a good career afterwards.

Back