Packers overflowing with young candidates to step in for injured Jake Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Chances of the Packers using a 3-4 defense became less likely Monday when ILB Jake Ryan suffered what appeared to be a serious right knee injury.

home

Continue reading...

Not going after a legitimate run stopper to back Ryan and Martinez is ignorance. Repeatedly, the Packers expose themselves at key positions by under staffing the roster in one position, and over staff in another. It seems to be a yearly ritual, and then the excuses start before we even hit the field for the first game, how injuries have put us in a hole at key positions. Meanwhile, we'll have six guys from another position sitting on the bench, not getting any playing time.

Overflowing with young talent ready to take Ryan's place? I wish it was true. I don't see anyone who can step up on day one and make an impact.

Last edited:
LOL at the title. "Overflowing with young candidates", puts a disgustingly inaccurate positive spin on the situation. The reality is that the Packers have no depth whatsoever at the LB position. They have an old, often injured, Matthews, glass man Perry, average Martinez, and nothing else.

This article is overflowing with BS. Who employs these guys? The Packers? I mean seriously, wtf?

A more appropriate title would be, "The Packers are overflowing with undrafted free agents"

Marty is better then average. He graded out well last yr and led the league in tackles. If he takes another step this yr he will be among the best at ilb. Tackles arent everything but do t sell him short. The average guy is ryan. Hes nothing great. I hate the loss but he can/could be upgraded. I would love to see a vet like bowman or freeman brought in. Both have gas in the tank and would be good leaders.
This article is a little off in thinking the traditional thumper type is still real important. I get ryans role and guys like him are needed to take on blocks and keep others clean but he has been and was in camp getting abused im coverage. We dont know what we have in the young guys. Martini is making the most of his reps. Maybe we found something. Time will tell. Point is we didnt lose an all pro yesterday. It sucks but we can move forward.

Martinez is an above average LB? Based on what exactly? His tackle stats? He led the league in tackles because the Packers had one of the worst defenses in the league, and they can't get off the field, therefore more opportunities for tackles.

Is he a difference maker? I certainly don't think so at this point. He had only one INT last year, and one measly sack. Tackles are nice, but they aren't the sole measure of a great LB. I'd argue that he looks much better than he is merely because the rest of the defense is so awful. I remember AJ Hawk piling up a ton of tackles too, in fact he is the all time leader in tackles for the Green Bay Packers. Yet, nobody considered him a great LB, and for good reason.

Not going after a legitimate run stopper to back Ryan and Martinez is ignorance. Repeatedly, the Packers expose themselves at key positions by under staffing the roster in one position, and over staff in another. It seems to be a yearly ritual, and then the excuses start before we even hit the field for the first game, how injuries have put us in a hole at key positions. Meanwhile, we'll have six guys from another position sitting on the bench, not getting any playing time.

Overflowing with young talent ready to take Ryan's place? I wish it was true. I don't see anyone who can step up on day one and make an impact.

Bingo. How many years did it take for the Packers front office to address the safety position beyond UDFA? Or the RB position, when we all knew it was a weakness for years? We've been seeing the same thing now with LB for several years. It's been occurring on a yearly basis for a long time now, and the only thing that has really changed has been the position of weakness. Same old story, different year.

Martinez has found himself in the same role as Hawk, and before him, Bennett. You get tackles, you try to play sideline to sideline, and in the end will be the scapegoat by the coaching staff for every pass completed over the middle. It was the mantra of Capers during his entire tenure as DC.

In that role, you make more tackles than anyone else over the course of time. It goes with the job. I just don't want to see the tackle leadership go to the secondary.

Martinez is an above average LB? Based on what exactly? His tackle stats? He led the league in tackles because the Packers had one of the worst defenses in the league, and they can't get off the field, therefore more opportunities for tackles.

Is he a difference maker? I certainly don't think so at this point. He had only one INT last year, and one measly sack. Tackles are nice, but they aren't the sole measure of a great LB. I'd argue that he looks much better than he is merely because the rest of the defense is so awful. I remember AJ Hawk piling up a ton of tackles too, in fact he is the all time leader in tackles for the Green Bay Packers. Yet, nobody considered him a great LB, and for good reason.

Is that a guess that he played way more then other ilber? He didnt. He had about 60 more snaps the kuechy. He had 100 less then 2nd place. This was a subject on a different forum and marty was top 10 for ilber in tackles, tackles for a loss, fumbles recovered and pass defended. His 1 sack from an inside lb is the same as many big names that we would say are elite. The likes of bobby wagner. Deion jones kuechly and kendricks to name a few. Is he the best no. But hes above average and if he takes another step yes he could be in the list of the good ones.

I do agree tackles arent everything but if hes making them at the los and not downfield thats a good thing.

A guess? No, it's common sense. If your defense can't get off the field(especially on third down) you end up getting more opportunities to tackle people. Here's some more common sense. The Packers didn't tackle people well last year, and had a lot of missed tackles. His teammates inability to tackle well, opens up even more opportunities for Martinez to make some tackles and pad those stats.

Also, as TW pointed out, he's in a role specifically designed to get tackles. It's going to be interesting to see how he does this year in a different defense. He definitely took a step up from his rookie campaign though.

I'm not saying he's a bad player by any means. He can tackle well for sure, and he appears durable. But everyone seems to have a raging hard-on for him that just isn't warranted IMO. I read an article that called him a, "building block". That's an extreme take. He hasn't shown he's a difference maker. He's just piled up some stats on an awful Packers defense. Color me unimpressed at this point.

I wonder if MM/MP might choose to use Ryan's roster spot (if he is indeed done for the season) to keep an extra DL like Lancaster/Mbu (primarily run stoppers) and then morph the defense in to more 3 and 4 man fronts (3-3 and 4-3)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back