Packers' Mulumba returns from injury stronger

realitybytes

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
as i was saying in shout yesterday, i had already pretty much written mulumba off. but he has been looking good in camp, and this article has some encouraging insights. i thought it was a worthwhile read:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...m-injury-stronger-b99550061z1-320715131.html#

If Green Bay Packers linebacker Andy Mulumba hadn't already escaped the war-torn Democratic Republic of Congo, resettled in Montreal without his family and enrolled at Eastern Michigan University knowing only his native French language, overcoming a major knee injury would have seemed like a big deal.

A torn right anterior cruciate ligament suffered in Week 2 last year changed his life some, but all things considered it was a minor detour.

Following surgery in late September, Mulumba hung around town so he could rehab with the Packers' training staff, then hurried off to Westlake Village, Calif., to begin the arduous task of not just rebuilding his busted knee but fine-tuning his powerful body so he would be less injury-prone.

Mulumba, at the suggestion of teammate Clay Matthews, headed to Proactive Sports Performance, a place where Matthews, offensive lineman David Bakhtiari and quarterback Aaron Rodgers train after the season.

"I got referred by Clay," Mulumba said Tuesday. "Since he was a reference it was easy for me to get in."

The caliber of athlete that trains there ranges from the three Packers to Buffalo's C.J. Spiller, Denver's Von Miller and Minnesota's Kyle Rudolph, plus the former Kentucky basketball duo of Willie Cauley-Stein and Karl-Anthony Towns.

Returning only for the Packers' playoff run in January, Mulumba stayed in California until it was time to report for off-season conditioning in April.

"The amount of work that I went through during those 10 months helped me as a person, as a player," Mulumba said.

If Mulumba's performance the first five practices of training camp is any indication, the third-year pro has come back a bigger, faster, more powerful player. He has been a constant in the backfield during the 11-on-11 drills despite saying his knee isn't quite where it needs to be.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...m-injury-stronger-b99550061z1-320715131.html#

End of the 2013 season none of our OLB could stay healthy. Mulumba was dinged up too but he basically sucked it up and hung in there doing what he could to hold the fort. In the playoffs against SF on Kaepernick's decisive 3rd down scramble, Mulumba was right there but he was hobbled by a bad knee and just couldn't get home - gave his all though. I like the guy, and I like that he seems sturdy against the run. He has the makings of a good backup and ST guy if he can stay healthy.

Back