Packers ILB Jake Ryan out for season with torn ACL

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Packers inside linebacker Jake Ryan suffered a torn ACL during practice Monday and will require season-ending surgery, a source said Wednesday.

home

Continue reading...

I hate seeing careers go up in smoke with one injury, but that's what I believe has just happened to Ryan. He wasn't the best player for openers, and this will even lessen his value.

I hope he has a good recovery, and can enjoy the rest of his life, but I don't believe it will ever be in a Packer uniform again.

Yup, Packer career likely over. Maybe done, period. He's the kind of guy teams often release anyway to find a younger and faster guy. Maybe he can convince a team to take him on at minimum next summer - a contract that makes him easy to cut. Maybe a team who needs a more traditional ILB and wants a high character vet around - if such a team exist.

I think there could be 3 things that could happen as a result of Ryan going down.

#1. Oren Burks will get plenty of reps with the #1's on defense and may get the call to start when preseason games start, if he shows enough, and ends up as a suitable replacement.

#2. Burks "flashes", but not enough to feel comfy having him as a starter in Week 1 against CHI, so they move CMIII to ILB part-time to share snaps with Burks w/ the caveat that the trio of Fackrell/Beigel/Odom show enough at OLB that Pettine feels OK with giving Matthews snaps at ILB. (All three of F-B-O have been working hard and making a positive impression so far).

#3. Packers feel they have to bite the bullet and go out an sign a veteran ILB (ex: like Bowman) or they bring in another veteran edge OLB (ex: like Barwin, or John Simon.......if INDY releases him)

What I don't doubt is that there will not be any roster additions at either ILB/OLB for at least 2 weeks.........unless there's another injury.

I think there could be 3 things that could happen as a result of Ryan going down.

#1. Oren Burks will get plenty of reps with the #1's on defense and may get the call to start when preseason games start, if he shows enough, and ends up as a suitable replacement.

#2. Burks "flashes", but not enough to feel comfy having him as a starter in Week 1 against CHI, so they move CMIII to ILB part-time to share snaps with Burks w/ the caveat that the trio of Fackrell/Beigel/Odom show enough at OLB that Pettine feels OK with giving Matthews snaps at ILB. (All three of F-B-O have been working hard and making a positive impression so far).

#3. Packers feel they have to bite the bullet and go out an sign a veteran ILB (ex: like Bowman) or they bring in another veteran edge OLB (ex: like Barwin, or John Simon.......if INDY releases him)

What I don't doubt is that there will not be any roster additions at either ILB/OLB for at least 2 weeks.........unless there's another injury.

Although this may be a huge reach, I do agree on Matthews moving inside, and getting Burks experience. "IF" Biegel can reach the same intensity as he had as a Badger, he could be a real asset on the outside. It's going to be interesting seeing how this plays out.

Back