Packers Hire New DC

nfn but Tom S has been feeling his oats a bit lately. I wonder if he’s got a connection with Hafley’s camp.

Slightly different tone than Joe Barry

A motivator. I believe in it. You don't hit the field for practice, or games, without firing them up. Football is hard. It can hurt, play after play. You learn to love the game, get fired up, and the pain becomes a reward for having done well on every given play.

If you get beat on a play, you don't quit. You just reach further inside, and decide that on the next play, you're going to whip that guy's sorry ass. You're going to whip him so hard he's going to think you're possessed.

The objective is to make the other guy flinch, and when he does, you own the SOB, and you let him know it on every damned play, because you are the master over him, and he's your bitch!

That's what a coach I played for said a long time ago, and when we hit the field, even in practice, we were whipping the hell out of each other on every play, because it's what you do in practice that carries over to the field.

I know that what I said sounds harsh, but football is not a "contact sport." It's a collision sport, and it's violent. Basketball is a contact sport. You either embrace the pain, or go play something other than football, because you're taking up a pair of shoulder pads that belong on someone else, who will give that extra measure.

Overall there is a strong college ball tinge to the staff. Hafley obviously, but Ansley coached under Saban and then Guenther, Vrabel and Staley in the pros. Myles White former Packers coaching intern pulled from the college ranks, Vince Oghobasse obviously from BC. Anthony Campanile was at BC and Michigan before Miami. It's a mix of young guys with pro experience but exposure to the college game as well. I'd guess this is a ML attempt to get new ideas and perspective in the building while keeping the experience level up.

Like that Hafley just did not bring in everyone he knows to fill out his staff. Only seems to do a couple guys on that. Outside of that some vet coaches for him to help him as first time DC and some young guys with fresh ideas to bring.

Like that Hafley just did not bring in everyone he knows to fill out his staff. Only seems to do a couple guys on that. Outside of that some vet coaches for him to help him as first time DC and some young guys with fresh ideas to bring.
What is the process? Hafley brings up someone to ML and Gute and then gets their permission to bring that person in?

Back