Packers GM Brian Gutekunst doing his homework with draft visits

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Unlike his predecessor, Packers GM Brian Gutekunst isn’t reserving his allotted pre-draft visits to likely low-round and undrafted prospects.

home

Continue reading...

Good for him. Gives GB a better chance of getting those top picks right.

I agree. Saving a couple of bucks on plane fare, meals, and a room, doesn't make sense. You need to know what you'd be getting in a player.

These guys also act differently when they visit a team than they do at combine and workouts.

I agree. Saving a couple of bucks on plane fare, meals, and a room, doesn't make sense. You need to know what you'd be getting in a player.

These guys also act differently when they visit a team than they do at combine and workouts.

Less distractions than at Combine/Pro Days. You get to see how they focus (or not). I very much like this action plan that Gute has been using.

Interesting that Vea was one of the visits. Does fit in that 10-20 slot so makes sense that way, but seems like it would be a double dip with Clark already at the NT position, but talented big men have great value so I would not be upset with him as the pick.

Interesting that Vea was one of the visits. Does fit in that 10-20 slot so makes sense that way, but seems like it would be a double dip with Clark already at the NT position, but talented big men have great value so I would not be upset with him as the pick.

Seems Gutekunst is looking at bunch of guys who might be there at 14 to try to get feel on them. Perhaps this might allow him a better chance to hit on his first round pick. Ted it seemed to rely on tape and maybe a 5-10 minute interview at the combine while Ted used most if not all his pre-draft visits to target players that were likely to be UDFA that he wanted to chance.

Have seen Vea as the pick in some mocks. Is drawing comparisons to Vince Wilfork. Haven't had a guy like that since Gilbert Brown. Those big uglies are hard to come by so having a good rotation of them and in case of injury makes a lot of sense.

Seems Gutekunst is looking at bunch of guys who might be there at 14 to try to get feel on them. Perhaps this might allow him a better chance to hit on his first round pick. Ted it seemed to rely on tape and maybe a 5-10 minute interview at the combine while Ted used most if not all his pre-draft visits to target players that were likely to be UDFA that he wanted to chance.

Agree, there is a balance in there somewhere. You don't want to just use all those visits on top guys. Bringing in a few injured guys and some late rounders/UDFAs makes sense, but it sure seems like using half those visits on guys who fit in your slots in the first couple of rounds makes more sense than just some short visits at All-star games and the combine. These are after all guys you are going to give a lot of money and guys you expect to be impact players.

Agree, there is a balance in there somewhere. You don't want to just use all those visits on top guys.

i'm not sure what the right balance is though. terranimal posted an interesting (although very dated) article on ourlads about where the "two-deep" players at various positions come from in the draft. the article makes it vary clear that the udfa is a major source of talent at several positions. here's a chart from that article:

dayonetable.gif

i thought it was very interesting that the biggest source for ol, safeties and linebackers was udfa. when you look at it from this perspective, tt's m.o. of using the visits primarily to investigate potential udfa kind of makes sense.

Here's the reality of the situation. It's a crap shoot. You can't control who the others guys take and all the movement on the board. You have to trust in your scouts and the postion board you compiled during the season.

Some years you get it spot on and others just don't pan out. Personally I stopped putting a ton of stock in the charts and formulas about 4-5 yrs ago.

Back