Packers 2022 Thread

Trading Bak after June 1st clears $14M in cap space for 2022.
It doesn’t help with the 2022 draft, but might looking towards 2023.
He’s already on the wrong side of 30 and coming off a serious injury (albeit his first major injury).
I think his future gets discussed inside 1265 this off season.
Have to wait and see where it goes.

Personally, I favor keeping Turner and moving Bak. Turners cap charge is much lower than Bak’s.

But then drafting an OT on Day 1 or early Day 2 pretty much becomes a necessity.

The other iron in the fire here is Yosh Nijman. He hasn’t been perfect, but he hasn’t been awful either. Keeping him while a draft pick develops may make trading Bak a workable situation.

Thanks for clarifying the dollars on a BahkT trade. I new it had to be a late trade because there is no CAP savings to doing it before or around the draft.

My concern with trading BahkT is getting value. Given that he hasn't even practiced the last couple of weeks, I don't think we see him right after the bye. He might only play 3-4 regular season games and the playoffs. If he looks really good and ready to resume his all-pro type career in those games then a trade makes a ton of sense. If he doesn't play that much and doesn't look 100% then it may be that teams don't want to give you much for him. In that case I'm inclined to roll the dice and hope he shows up in 2022 and maybe I get a little better value trading him after next season.

If you have to have the CAP room to do other things then yes, they should make the deal. The thing is, since an older OT likely won't draw a high pick I'm inclined to let it play out.

Thanks for clarifying the dollars on a BahkT trade. I new it had to be a late trade because there is no CAP savings to doing it before or around the draft.

My concern with trading BahkT is getting value. Given that he hasn't even practiced the last couple of weeks, I don't think we see him right after the bye. He might only play 3-4 regular season games and the playoffs. If he looks really good and ready to resume his all-pro type career in those games then a trade makes a ton of sense. If he doesn't play that much and doesn't look 100% then it may be that teams don't want to give you much for him. In that case I'm inclined to roll the dice and hope he shows up in 2022 and maybe I get a little better value trading him after next season.

If you have to have the CAP room to do other things then yes, they should make the deal. The thing is, since an older OT likely won't draw a high pick I'm inclined to let it play out.
They’d have from June 1st until Week 1 of the regular season to make a determination on his readiness/value.
Plenty of time to decide if you keep him or move him.

They’d have from June 1st until Week 1 of the regular season to make a determination on his readiness/value.
Plenty of time to decide if you keep him or move him.

yes, time enough for the Packers to make a decision, but not much to look at if you are an opposing team looking to trade for him. I'm confident the Packers will know what they have, not as confident that other teams will have seen enough to evaluate him properly and give up anything of value to get him. If other teams aren't giving you value, why trade him . . . unless you absolutely need the CAP space for something.

Slim to none Bak is getting moved. You don't move a all pro LT just to save a little bit of cash. If he's looking like the knee is bad no one will take him because of that.

So even though he was a horrible GM ... Ryan Pace was a much better pro personnel guy and scout. When he gets canned at the end of the year GB should add him to the scouting department.

How to cut $63 mill plus from the cap for 2022:

The 5 guys listed are the ones who would clear the most space. It could end up 3, 4, or even all 5 of them being cut to clear space. If my figures are right, here's the rounded out millions saved against cap with each cut. It doesn't show the lost cap, just how much it clears from the cap. Assume we need $63 mill just to reach the figure, and need to work it out beyond that in many respects. It doesn't include signing any free agents, or even our own players who are FAs.

Rodgers - $19 mill
Z. Smith - $16 mill
Bakhtiari - $16 mill
P. Smith - $12 mill
Cobb - $7 mill

Work it from here. You gotta find a lot of money with a few players, to maintain a 53 man roster.

Last edited:
How to cut $63 mill plus from the cap for 2022:

The 5 guys listed are the ones who would clear the most space. It could end up 3, 4, or even all 5 of them being cut to clear space. If my figures are right, here's the rounded out millions saved against cap with each cut. It doesn't show the lost cap, just how much it clears from the cap. Assume we need $63 mill just to reach the figure, and need to work it out beyond that in many respects. It doesn't include signing any free agents, or even our own players who are FAs.

Rodgers - $19 mill
Z. Smith - $16 mill
Bakhtiari - $16 mill
P. Smith - $12 mill
Cobb - $7 mill

Work it from here. You gotta find a lot of money with a few players, to maintain a 53 man roster.
Keep in mind to keeping FA Adams who is seeking to be the highest-paid WR will require a least a few more cuts OR you let him walk. Everyone needs to understand it's a very unpleasant offseason that's coming.

Back