Packers 2022 Thread

I still think that trading Bakhtiari after 6/1/22 will at least be discussed inside 1265.
They’ve made it work with a patchwork OL this year.
They could find a way next year, I hope, as well.

It might make sense to draft an OT who can be groomed to be Loves backside protector for the next “x” number of years.

Ok here goes:

This may look similar to everyone elses.

Trade or extend Rodgers- I would prefer Trade
Extend or restructure Preston Smith
Extend or restructure Adrian Amos
Trade Baktiari- Knee could be an issue and he is outside of 30
Sign Devondre Campbell
Sign Rasul Douglas

Release
Z Smith- Save 16M- Not worth the money and is horrible against the run. Gary has already replaced him.
Turner (Unless we need depth or decide to trade Bak) Save 4M
Lowrey- Save 4M- Not worth the money
Crosby- Save 2M- It is time
King- Made of glass
Cobb- Save almost 7M- He is 32 and has a little bit of injury history lately
Lewis- Save 870K- He is 38 and has to hang it up eventually

That would give us almost 32M in cap space, minus restructures or extensions.

I think we can still accept Jaire Alexander for the 5th year option. Which I would do. Depending on how signings and contracts are structured, we should be able to sign a few FA's. Hopefully, we also have more picks to load up with trading AR and Bak.

Draft needs in order of need
OL
DL
OLB
S

Feedback and opinions would be great. Thanks!

Last edited:
Ok here goes:

Sign Devondre Campbell
Sign Rasul Douglas

Release
Z Smith- Save 16M- Not worth the money and is horrible against the run. Gary has already replaced him.
King- Made of glass

I think we can still accept Jaire Alexander for the 5th year option. Which I would do. Depending on how signings and contracts are structured, we should be able to sign a few FA's. Hopefully, we also have more picks to load up with trading AR and Bak.

OL
DL
OLB
S

As you can see, by my Draft Guru title, I'm not at all knowledgeable with the workings of the salary cap. So from this Draft Guru to you, for what it's worth, nice job!

Ok here goes:

Sign Devondre Campbell
Sign Rasul Douglas

Release
King- Made of glass

OL
DL
OLB
S

I think you pretty much covered it. Differing opinions will be around the "edges" because your central proposal is sound.

I mostly agree with your first group of extend/trade guys. I too would rather trade Rodgers at this point because it means a cleaner break that returns some value to the team. Plus, it cleans up the CAP situation rather than kicking the can down the road. If they do decide to try and keep him we'll have to hope for some big CAP jumps in '23 and '24. The only real quibble I'd have is that trading BahkT might not get you max value if he doesn't look the greatest coming back this year. Plus you won't have Jenkins for most of next year and you're likely dumping Turner. That might leave the OL too thin. I'm not sure of the CAP saving on a trade but I'd be tempted to keep him and trade him after next season.

Agree with the "release" list. I might be tempted to keep Turner as well, if BahkT is traded, but since I'd probably keep BahkT, I'm saying Turner is gone. I've changed my mind somewhat on Turner since Nijman looks serviceable at this point. I might be tempted to keep Lewis since the savings isn't that much and Tonyan will likely be gone for much of 2022. Of course if AR is gone, Lewis might decide to call it quits on his own rather than play on a rebuilding/retooling team.

You didn't address Adams contract situation. I'm thinking a tag and trade if that can be worked out, otherwise part of me thinks we've gotten max value from him and they might be better off letting him walk. Depending on how all the other dominos fall maybe I'd think about bringing him back, but I suspect that if AR is gone he'll be even less willing to do a deal with the Packers unless it's really in his favor.

As for the draft I agree with the positions that are there but would add WR in there somewhere and likely TE. With Cobb gone and perhaps Adams as well they need WR help even if they keep several of the current group, which isn't a certainty. WR is a position of need for me. TE is kinda messy as well right now. I'd want one somewhere in rounds 3-5. I'm also not ready to say we are set at ILB, but if they have Campbell back for a few years it's not a high priority.

I'd be good with your plan but for me I'd maybe do a few things differently.

Last edited:
Trading Bak after June 1st clears $14M in cap space for 2022.
It doesn’t help with the 2022 draft, but might looking towards 2023.
He’s already on the wrong side of 30 and coming off a serious injury (albeit his first major injury).
I think his future gets discussed inside 1265 this off season.
Have to wait and see where it goes.

Personally, I favor keeping Turner and moving Bak. Turners cap charge is much lower than Bak’s.

But then drafting an OT on Day 1 or early Day 2 pretty much becomes a necessity.

The other iron in the fire here is Yosh Nijman. He hasn’t been perfect, but he hasn’t been awful either. Keeping him while a draft pick develops may make trading Bak a workable situation.

Cut everyone making a lot become a 3-14 win team.

I think you pretty much covered it. Differing opinions will be around the "edges" because your central proposal is sound.

I mostly agree with your first group of extend/trade guys. I too would rather trade Rodgers at this point because it means a cleaner break that returns some value to the team. Plus, it cleans up the CAP situation rather than kicking the can down the road. If they do decide to try and keep him we'll have to hope for some big CAP jumps in '23 and '24. The only real quibble I'd have is that trading BahkT might not get you max value if he doesn't look the greatest coming back this year. Plus you won't have Jenkins for most of next year and you're likely dumping Turner. That might leave the OL too thin. I'm not sure of the CAP saving on a trade but I'd be tempted to keep him and trade him after next season.

Agree with the "release" list. I might be tempted to keep Turner as well, if BahkT is traded, but since I'd probably keep BahkT, I'm saying Turner is gone. I've changed my mind somewhat on Turner since Nijman looks serviceable at this point. I might be tempted to keep Lewis since the savings isn't that much and Tonyan will likely be gone for much of 2022. Of course if AR is gone, Lewis might decide to call it quits on his own rather than play on a rebuilding/retooling team.

You didn't address Adams contract situation. I'm thinking a tag and trade if that can be worked out, otherwise part of me thinks we've gotten max value from him and they might be better off letting him walk. Depending on how all the other dominos fall maybe I'd think about bringing him back, but I suspect that if AR is gone he'll be even less willing to do a deal with the Packers unless it's really in his favor.

As for the draft I agree with the positions that are there but would add WR in there somewhere and likely TE. With Cobb gone and perhaps Adams as well they need WR help even if they keep several of the current group, which isn't a certainty. WR is a position of need for me. TE is kinda messy as well right now. I'd want one somewhere in rounds 3-5. I'm also not ready to say we are set at ILB, but if they have Campbell back for a few years it's not a high priority.

I'd be good with your plan but for me I'd maybe do a few things differently.
I agree with your comments, 57.

Yeah, did not think about a tag and trade on Adams. I think if AR is gone so is Adams. We need to start fresh.

As for the draft, I agree on WR but I was thinking they load up on o-line first to give Love protection and so we can run the ball well. Then draft WR and TE. JMO.

Rodgers gone, Lowry gone, P Smith Gone, Z Smith Gone, Cobb Gone, Crosby Gone, Lewis Gone

Those moves put the team about $28 million under the projected cap. I then go extend Alexander and Jenkins. I talk to Adams but if it's to much I let him walk. A tag a trade likely won't work as tag will eat up to much of the cap.

Offer Tonyan cheap one year deal coming off injury he does not want it let him walk.

I then look in FA maybe see if you can afford Allen Robinson cheaper then Adams. Sign a cheap OLB and a backup OL or two.

Rodgers gone, Lowry gone, P Smith Gone, Z Smith Gone, Cobb Gone, Crosby Gone, Lewis Gone

Those moves put the team about $28 million under the projected cap. I then go extend Alexander and Jenkins. I talk to Adams but if it's to much I let him walk. A tag a trade likely won't work as tag will eat up to much of the cap.

Offer Tonyan cheap one year deal coming off injury he does not want it let him walk.

I then look in FA maybe see if you can afford Allen Robinson cheaper then Adams. Sign a cheap OLB and a backup OL or two.
Extending Jaire would lower his 2022 cap number significantly and could allow a tag/trade scenario for Adams to happen.
What they would be shooting for is getting a deal for Adams worked out prior to the draft do they can use whatever pick(s) they can get for both Adams and Rodgers in the 2022 draft.

Having extra picks early in this next draft favors the areas the Packers will need help the most.
OT and Edge.

Back