Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
thedopesheet.jpg

GREEN BAY (4-6) AT PHILADELPHIA (5-5)

Monday, Nov. 28 l Lincoln Financial Field l 7:30 p.m. CST

The Green Bay Packers stay on the road to play the Philadelphia Eagles in the last game of a three-game road trip.
This is the 24th consecutive season (1993-2016) that Green Bay is appearing on Monday Night Football, the second-longest streak in the league behind only Denver’s 25-year span (1992-2016). It is the Packers’ lone MNF appearance this season.
Green Bay is 30-31-1 all-time on MNF and has won its past two appearances.
It is the fourth meeting between the two teams on MNF. They last played against each other on MNF in 2006, a 31-9 Eagles victory in Philadelphia.
Monday is the last of five primetime games that were scheduled for Green Bay this season.
The Packers won the last matchup against the Eagles, 53-20, at Lambeau Field in 2014.
Green Bay won each of its last two games at Philadelphia, 21-16 in the 2010 Wild Card playoffs and 27-20 during the 2010 regular season.
The Packers lead the regular-season series against the Eagles, 25-14.
Including the postseason, Green Bay has won four of the last five matchups against Philadelphia.
Eagles head coach Doug Pederson played quarterback from the Packers from 1996-98 and 2001-04.
Monday will be the third time in the last four seasons Green Bay and Philadelphia have played each other.
The Packers have posted 400-plus total yards of offense in three straight games, just the second time in the last seven seasons that Green Bay has done that (Weeks 8, 10-11 in 2014).
The Packers have scored 23 or more points in seven of the last eight games. Dating back to Week 3, they are tied for the second-most 23-plus point games in the NFL, trailing only the Dallas Cowboys, who have eight (according to pro-football-reference.com).
Under Head Coach Mike McCarthy, Green Bay is 83-43-1 during the regular season against NFC opponents. The Packers’ 83 wins and .657 winning percentage both rank No. 1 among NFC teams over that span.
Green Bay is 35-28 on the road against NFC teams since 2006, a .556 winning percentage that ranks No. 2 in the NFC, trailing only the Dallas Cowboys (37-26, .587).
The Packers are playing three road games in a row for the first time since 2012 and only the third time in the last 19 seasons (also 1998).
Green Bay will return to Lambeau Field next Sunday to play its first home game in nearly a month when they host the Houston Texans in their last scheduled matchup against an AFC opponent.
The Packers will finish the regular season with four games against NFC foes, including the last three against division opponents.

WITH THE CALL
ESPN is in its 11th season as host of the most successful series in sports television history, Monday Night Football. Play-by-play man Sean McDonough is joined by analyst Jon Gruden for the 47th season of MNF broadcasts, with Lisa Salters reporting from the sidelines.
Milwaukee’s WTMJ (620 AM), airing Green Bay games since November 1929, heads up the Packers Radio Network that is made up of 50 stations in five states. Wayne Larrivee (play-by-play) and two-time Packers Pro Bowler Larry McCarren (analyst) call the action. McCarren first joined the team’s broadcasts in 1995 and enters his 22nd season calling Packers games. After originally being paired together in 1999, McCarren and Larrivee enter their 18th season of broadcasts together.
Westwood One Sports will air the game on radio across the country. Kevin Harlan (play-by-play) and Boomer Esiason (analyst) will call the action, with Steve Tasker reporting from the sidelines and Jim Gray hosting the pregame and halftime shows.
The broadcast is also available on Sirius Satellite Radio (WTMJ feed).

THE DOPE ON THIS WEEK’S OPPONENT:
Packers vs. Eagles:
All-time, Regular season: 25-14-0
All-time, Postseason: 1-2
All-time, in Philadelphia: 9-11-0
Streaks: The Packers have won four of the past five meetings.
Last meeting, regular season: Nov. 16, 2014; Packers won, 53-20, Lambeau Field

COACHES CAPSULES
Mike McCarthy: 116-68-1, .630 (incl. 8-7 postseason); 11th NFL season
Doug Pederson: 5-5-0, .500; 1st NFL season
Head to Head: Tied 0-0
vs. Opponent: McCarthy 4-2 vs. Eagles; Pederson 0-0 vs. Packers

MIKE McCARTHY…Is in his 11th year as the Packers’ 14th head coach.
Joined Vince Lombardi and Mike Holmgren as the only coaches to guide the Packers to a Super Bowl title with a win over Pittsburgh in Super Bowl XLV.
Led the Packers to their seventh consecutive playoff appearance last season, joining New England as the only two NFL teams to do so over that span. Has also led the team to eight playoff appearances in the last nine years (2007, 2009-15).
Guided the Packers to top-10 finishes in scoring in eight straight seasons (2007-14), joining the Patriots as the only other team to accomplish the feat over that time; Packers finished first overall in scoring in 2014.
His .638 winning percentage during the regular season (108-61-1) ranks No. 3 among active NFL head coaches (min. 50 games).
Had 104 regular-season wins in his first 10 seasons as a head coach, ranking No. 3 in NFL history.

DOUG PEDERSON…Is in his first year as the Eagles’ 19th head coach.
In Kansas City, coached Chiefs QB Alex Smith to the most wins by a starting quarterback in his first three years as the starter (30) in team history.
Coordinated an offense in Kansas City that committed the third-fewest turnovers (50) in the NFL from 2013-15.
Helped Kansas City’s quarterbacks average 21 passing TDs and seven INTs over his three-year stint as offensive coordinator.
In 2011 as the Eagles’ quarterbacks coach, guided QB Michael Vick to become the second quarterback in NFL history to top 3,000 passing yards and 500 rushing yards in consecutive seasons.
Played quarterback in the NFL for 12 years with Green Bay, Miami, Philadelphia and Cleveland.

THE PACKERS-EAGLES SERIES
The Packers swept the first nine contests in the series and won 16 of 18 from 1933-70.
Philadelphia won five straight games from 2003-06, including a 20-17 overtime win in the 2004 divisional playoff.
En route to winning Super Bowl XLV, Green Bay beat the Eagles in Philadelphia twice with a 27-20 victory to open the season in Week 1 and a 21-16 win in the NFC Wild Card playoffs.
The Packers also defeated Philadelphia in Week 2 of the 1996 season, 39-13, as part of a 13-3 season that led to a Super Bowl XXXI victory.
The Eagles handed Hall of Fame head coach Vince Lombardi his only postseason defeat in the 1960 NFL Championship, 17-13.

NOTABLE CONNECTIONS
Packers defensive line coach Mike Trgovac held the same position for the Eagles from 1995-98...Green Bay director of player engagement Rob Davis became the first player ever from Shippensburg, Pa., to play in the NFL...Eagles head coach Doug Pederson played quarterback for the Packers for eight seasons (1995-98, 2001-04), winning Super Bowl XXXI with Green Bay...Philadelphia G/T Allen Barbre was a fourth-round pick by Green Bay in 2007 and played for the Packers from 2007-09...Eagles safeties coach Tim Hauck played safety for the Packers from 1991-94...Packers T/G Don Barclay is from Harmony, Pa. ...Green Bay head coach Mike McCarthy, associate head coach/offense Tom Clements and quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt are all from Pittsburgh...Philadelphia linebackers coach Ken Flajole was Green Bay’s defensive quality control coach in 1998...Green Bay wide receivers coach Luke Getsy is from Munhall, Pa., while assistant linebackers coach Scott McCurley is from Bessemer, Pa. ...Eagles DT Beau Allen (2010-13) and S Chris Maragos (2008-09) played at Wisconsin...Maragos is from Racine, Wis., and Eagles G Brandon Brooks attended Riverside University High School in Milwaukee...Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers coached for the USFL’s Philadelphia/Baltimore Stars from 1984-85...Packers president & chief executive officer Mark Murphy was Colgate’s athletic director in 1992 when Philadelphia defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz was the school’s linebackers coach...Flajole coached in Seattle (2000-02) when Packers executive vice president, general manager & director of football operations Ted Thompson was the Seahawks’ vice president of football operations...Flajole coached Packers LB Julius Peppers in Carolina from 2003-08 when he was on Trgovac’s staff...Green Bay associate head coach/linebackers Winston Moss played in Seattle with Eagles defensive quality control/assistant defensive line coach Phillip Daniels (1996-97) and Hauck (1997)...Moss also coached Daniels in Seattle in 1998...Packers tight ends coach Brian Angelichio coached with Flajole and Philadelphia quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo in Cleveland in 2015...Green Bay DT Letroy Guion played in Minnesota from 2009-10 with Cleveland wide receivers coach Greg Lewis...DeFilippo coached with Capers in Carolina (1997) and secondary-safeties coach Darren Perry in Oakland (2007-08)...Eagles T Jason Peters was coached in Buffalo by Clements (2004-05) and Van Pelt (2005-08)...Green Bay TE Jared Cook played in St. Louis with Philadelphia S Rodney McLeod from 2013-15...Eagles LB Stephen Tulloch played in Tennessee with Cook from 2009-10...Capers was Carolina’s head coach when Eagles offensive coordinator Frank Reich played quarterback for the Panthers...Packers defensive quality control coach Ejiro Evero coached Eagles tight ends coach Justin Peelle in 2011 when Peelle was a tight end for San Francisco...Packers director of pro personnel Tim Terry played at Temple...Perry played at Penn State...Philadelphia G/T Matt Tobin was Iowa teammates with Packers T Bryan Bulaga (2009), DT Mike Daniels (2009-11) and DB Micah Hyde (2009-11)...Tobin was coached at Iowa by Green Bay assistant offensive line coach David Raih from 2010-12...Hauck and Raih coached together at UCLA in 2008...Eagles TE Zach Ertz played at Stanford with Packers LB Blake Martinez (2012), WR Ty Montgomery (2011-12) and T Kyle Murphy (2012)...Barclay played at West Virginia with Eagles LB Najee Goode from 2008-11...Packers WR Jordy Nelson played at Kansas State from 2003-04 with Philadelphia RB Darren Sproles...Peters played at Arkansas with Packers LS Brett Goode ...Eagles DE Steven Means played at Buffalo with Green Bay P Jacob Schum (2010-11) and RB James Starks (2009)...At California, Packers TE Richard Rodgers played with Eagles LB Mychal Kendricks in 2011...Philadelphia WR Dorial Green-Beckham was Oklahoma teammates with Green Bay FB Aaron Ripkowski from 2012-14...Packers WR Trevor Davis played at California from 2014-15 with Eagles WR Bryce Treggs...Green Bay S Kentrell Brice played at Louisiana Tech with Eagles WR Paul Turner (2014-15)...Trgovac and DeFilippo are both from Youngstown, Ohio.

LAST MEETING, REGULAR SEASON
Nov. 16, 2014, Lambeau Field, Packers won, 53-20
DB Micah Hyde returned a first-quarter punt 75 yards for a TD.
QB Aaron Rodgers completed 22 of 36 passes (61.1 percent) for 341 yards and three TDs (120.3 passer rating).
WRs Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb combined for 238 receiving yards, while Nelson added a 27-yard score.
CB Casey Hayward added a defensive TD in the fourth quarter with a 49-yard fumble return.

Read more: http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...f1a-51ef-4a58-947c-05535014c1e7#ixzz4QmkGluN3

I'll have to respectfully disagree on this one. This should, based on conventional wisdom, be a week where GB can take a young inexperienced QB. However that would be based on the assumption that this GB defense can handle mixing up and/or disguising coverage. Which I don't think they can. If they try they'll just confuse themselves. When all WAS had to do was throw deep Wentz may be able to pull this off.

So does GB right the ship for a week? Or is this a game that makes Wentz look like he has things figured out?

Close game till the fourth again. PHI 35 GB 21

edit: PHI defense has allowed the second fewest points against in the NFC..

I agree CD. This secondary is young, poorly coached, inexperienced and more injured than the team has let on IMO. Our front 7 is missing its two starting ILB - already a mediocre bunch - and even the best DL we have has fallen off.

AR has been playing better as of late but our OL is hanging on by the skin of their teeth right now and can't withstand an injury. Still don't have a RB. I don't question the heart or effort as much as I did a few weeks ago but I do question the coaching and the poor state of depth speaks for itself.

Heck, I don't know. I predicted close games the past 2 weeks one close win, one close loss, and I was dead wrong both times. Philly's defense is pretty tough so I don't see us going off on them. Sooooo . . . I'll predict another close one say 23-20 Philly. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

I'd be a lot more confident if we had a solid secondary or a bad-ass pass rush. Right now we have neither one so unfortunately I think Wentz will be able to make enough plays for them to win.

My fantasy guy said that Wentz is either the best play this week, or the Packers will find a way to pressure him into rookie mistakes, but he'd still probably have a top 15 week.

Expect to see Clay back inside, that's what I would do. You gotta keep Joe Thomas and Carl Bradford off the field as much as possible.

Packers have issues trying to stop Sproles I think he goes for 125 combined yards and 2 TD's Wentz adds another couple TD's and Eagles win 34-17

Packers have issues trying to stop Sproles I think he goes for 125 combined yards and 2 TD's Wentz adds another couple TD's and Eagles win 34-17

Is Sproles going to play? I thought I heard he was day to day at their practices this week?

Back