NFL owners approve 25-yard touchback rule, change in injured reserve designation

The period of 'we know, but we're not telling' is gone. If you want to harp on a time when management purposely let the players risk permanent damage, unknowingly, there are probably very few here who would argue the point. There was also the same sort of period for asbestos, smoking, radium watches and probably a lot of others. Far enough back, nobody knew there was danger, and hence nobody was really to blame. Now, there's no question of the danger, and safeguards are in place. Somewhere in between, the dangers started to surface and were most likely ignored by those making a profit. So, how does affect the present?

And, don't forget that the reason there are 2600 guys looking to make a team every year is because they WANT to, for money, fame, love of the game, whatever. In just the last year or two, more have opted out prematurely than ever before. That's an option, and it always has been. And, money may be as important as a normal life for guys who otherwise are looking at really poor alternatives.
I get what you are saying but the vast majority of fans just see the millionaires of the game. But the 1,000 or so guys who chased the dream leave with nothing and another large percent are playing for near minimum and who knows how long their careers will last. I get why fans don't have sympathy for some players because of the money they make. Yeah I'm sympathetic to players as a whole. Many are given false hopes by coaches agents and family. Many play the game to provide for their family who may have been living in poverty. I always laugh when people say players are playing for the love of the game. Offer them $50k and then check out the love. The NFL is a cruel nasty business.

Pack, you are a man whose heart is definitely in the right place. Even if we disagree somewhat on occasion, I've got a ton of respect for you. You should have been an agent yourself.

Last edited:
Pack, you are a man whose heart is definitely in the right place. You should have been an agent yourself.
Funny you say that. I considered taking the certification exam about 15 years ago. A friend of mine who is certified talked me out of it. Also not sure I'd qualify based on education. I'm I'm glad I did

I get what you are saying but the vast majority of fans just see the millionaires of the game. But the 1,000 or so guys who chased the dream leave with nothing and another large percent are playing for near minimum and who knows how long their careers will last. I get why fans don't have sympathy for some players because of the money they make. Yeah I'm sympathetic to players as a whole. Many are given false hopes by coaches agents and family. Many play the game to provide for their family who may have been living in poverty. I always laugh when people say players are playing for the love of the game. Offer them $50k and then check out the love. The NFL is a cruel nasty business.

Actually, that was the era when I really felt immersed in the game and felt the guys played it because they just wanted to play football. I remember when the players made a decent living, but many had to have off-season jobs in order to make ends meet. How many car dealerships, restaurants, et. al. had players as owners or otherwise involved? I could see what those guys were making and understand it. Now, when we discuss people who are marginal players or people, fans think it's unkind when they say "I wouldn't offer this clown more than $4 million on a one-year-contract" - that sort of thing I DON'T understand. The NFL, like most businesses and life in general, isn't fair, so the people who don't bring as much to the table are not going to receive what others do.

Back