Next Badgers Football Coach

I read that the other day that firing PC now might have been to get "ahead" of Nebraska but that does seem not UW way. If your Leonard do you agree to be Interm HC if you know you are not getting the job?

I read that the other day that firing PC now might have been to get "ahead" of Nebraska but that does seem not UW way. If your Leonard do you agree to be Interm HC if you know you are not getting the job?
He was asked to finish out the year...didn't agree to anything. It doesn't work like that. As for the UW way BS...the UW way has never been to fire someone midseason so that narrative is out the window.

The state press and wrinkled ass prune club pushing the Jim L narrative better be careful, still the same talent and staff left over. There aren't a lot of miracles in October and November, lucky for Jimmy Northwestern really sucks this year.

Because that's too easy, your terminating a guy with PC overall record mid-season to protect Jimmy? That's Red and White podo( If he truly expects better results...CHAMPIONSHIP results than hiring your homer favorite DC isn't the move IMHO.
To be blunt if he DID fire PC just to protect Jimmy then UW will most likely decline further... Jim will resign or get fired AND we lost an opportunity to make UW better. My personal take.

* note that isn't saying Jim L isn't a good coach but he has zero HC experience going into a power 5 team that needs a lot of work.
Just wanted to see your full thoughts.

Agree with some.

It's going to be an interesting ride.

I have many of the concerns you do, but, I'm hoping he lights a fire under the kids kiesters and hoping he does well.

I wonder how well O'Brien would work out as HC? I'd see him changing things significantly. He's an OC, and QB coach, yet as a player, was on defense. It's not like he doesn't understand where the defense has to be in the scheme of things. That can be an effective tool, knowing both sides of the game as well as he would.

Yet, I get the impression that the "first choice," if he could be had, would be Aranda. As good as Leonhard "might be," Aranda is a totally proven commodity, and would bring the hammer down on defense, and with his connections, his choice of OC would be pretty darned good. The problem with Aranda would probably be the money, and what they told him they'd commit to recruiting.

Liepold would be a good choice, but I'm not certain about his recruiting prowess to be honest. He could be a surprise. Financially, probably a good choice, if that's the biggest concern, which I think would be dumb. Then there's Leonhard. He's probably going to get the job, if they even make a bowl game this year. It would be a "safe call" by everyone in Madison, because Jimmy is the fair haired boy. His salary demands would be modest, and a slight uptick in recruiting would make him happy, I'd guess.

These are the guys I see in the mix to be honest. Outside of this, interviews, nothing more.

I wonder how well O'Brien would work out as HC? I'd see him changing things significantly. He's an OC, and QB coach, yet as a player, was on defense. It's not like he doesn't understand where the defense has to be in the scheme of things. That can be an effective tool, knowing both sides of the game as well as he would.

Yet, I get the impression that the "first choice," if he could be had, would be Aranda. As good as Leonhard "might be," Aranda is a totally proven commodity, and would bring the hammer down on defense, and with his connections, his choice of OC would be pretty darned good. The problem with Aranda would probably be the money, and what they told him they'd commit to recruiting.

Liepold would be a good choice, but I'm not certain about his recruiting prowess to be honest. He could be a surprise. Financially, probably a good choice, if that's the biggest concern, which I think would be dumb. Then there's Leonhard. He's probably going to get the job, if they even make a bowl game this year. It would be a "safe call" by everyone in Madison, because Jimmy is the fair haired boy. His salary demands would be modest, and a slight uptick in recruiting would make him happy, I'd guess.

These are the guys I see in the mix to be honest. Outside of this, interviews, nothing more.
BOB not sure I would want him as he seems a guy the second a better job comes up he would be out of WI.

Aranda not sure he would want to come back to UW. I think he might already have a better job a Baylor with more resources then he would have at UW.

Leipold I am thinking might be out of UW's price range if Nebraska and other teams make offers to try to get him.

I think it could come down to $$ and that could mean Leonard or going after a cheaper choice with the other two guys who have WI ties and would not cost nearly as much to hire.

LL only makes 2.2 a yr at Kansas, PC made 5.2 at Wisco. He's within our price range.
But if WI is paying off PC they might not want another 4-5 million dollar coach. They might say well if we have to pay PC we need to stay cheap on the next HC.

Reactions: TW
Back