National Guard Deployment

Scoremore12

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
My son graduated from basic/AIT training at Fort Benning in Columbus, GA December 15th, 2017. He enlisted as infantry and is a member of the Wisconsin Army National Guard. A couple months ago he told me their company was being deployed to Afghanistan Sometime around March. Today the National Guard made it public. When deployed, they will be over there for 9 months. He is part of B Company in Green Bay. He says he isn't scared or worried but I think that will change as the time comes to leave and once he is on the plan going there. It will probly bother me way more than him. It will be a very anxious and nervous 9 months. Here is the online article released by the National Guard. It was on tonights news to, which I will share here once the local tv station posts it on their website.

Online article - https://dma.wi.gov/DMA/news/2018news/18151

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
He'll be okay Score, he's had great training. I heard Trump was going to beef up forces in Afghanistan, didn't know they were going to use National guard to do that. He'll be in our thoughts and prayers going forward.

TW

My second oldest son did a tour in Afghanistan. He's been back for 3 1/2 years. It's not a pleasant experience, but he did say it's not as dangerous as half the training they did preparing to go there.

He served as a combat medic in a forward observation base (FOB) for his entire hitch, and went on repeated missions throughout the entire region. He'd even set up shop in small villages for a few hours, and help the locals with their medical needs as much as he could.

His biggest complaint? Not enough water to take decent showers. It was all transported in caravans, and the run from the main base was over 90+ miles of what was considered "enemy territory." They were forced to conserve.

He'll be in our prayers.

SSG247

I did two tours in the "stan" and 2 in Iraq. I have to disagree TW everywhere is dangerous over there. Score tell your son to trust his training and above all when outside a perimeter to keep his head on a swivel and stay aware at all times. Gods speed for a safe return.

TW

I did two tours in the "stan" and 2 in Iraq. I have to disagree TW everywhere is dangerous over there. Score tell your son to trust his training and above all when outside a perimeter to keep his head on a swivel and stay aware at all times. Gods speed for a safe return.
I never said it wasn't dangerous. It is dangerous. So is training. I did two tours in Vietnam and wouldn't belittle what's happening in Afghanistan.

No matter where you're at, in a hostile environment, it isn't safe, and you need to be vigilant. Even in Vietnam we didn't know who the enemy was. The same thing as Iraq and Afghanistan.