Murphy's Enigma Wrapped in a Paradox

He will be paid through 2019.
Firing him and having to pay only one more year is no big deal from a cash flow standpoint. It happens every year in the NFL.
Packers have the money to absorb doing this.
The one they may retain and let a (potential) new coach decide on keep/release might be Pettine.
In the past I would agree with you but with the cash flow on Rodgers contract , Titletown debt I’m not so sure. And honestly I think cash flow was one reason not going hard after Mack. They don’t want to tap into the reserve

In the past I would agree with you but with the cash flow on Rodgers contract , Titletown debt I’m not so sure. And honestly I think cash flow was one reason not going hard after Mack. They don’t want to tap into the reserve

In other words, like we have said for the past year.. Profit over chance at SB.. The goal is the business side of things not the football side of things. Also another reason why it will be very difficult to find FA players to come to GB.

That’s before Rodgers contract. What I found interesting was local revenue was up slightly even with a losing season. Titletown was not mentioned. Is that a separate LLC?
It would make sense if it was. Would have to be an acct and tax nightmare if it wasn't.

Just to clarify, because I'm not sure. If MM is hired by another team next year, do the Packers owe him anything?

With his relative record of success, I'm thinking some team will snap him up. If so, there might not be any financial incentive to keep him. Now, he could decided to sit out a year and make the Packers pay, but it seems like there is at least a decent chance he'll land another gig next year should they decide to part ways.

Just to clarify, because I'm not sure. If MM is hired by another team next year, do the Packers owe him anything?

With his relative record of success, I'm thinking some team will snap him up. If so, there might not be any financial incentive to keep him. Now, he could decided to sit out a year and make the Packers pay, but it seems like there is at least a decent chance he'll land another gig next year should they decide to part ways.

Typically if a coach is terminated with year(s) remaining on a contract and then gets rehired right away, it voids the remainder of the contract, unless the contract is guaranteed.

And that is the $64 question.

Typically if a coach is terminated with year(s) remaining on a contract and then gets rehired right away, it voids the remainder of the contract, unless the contract is guaranteed.

And that is the $64 question.
Total void no. All coach deals have offsets and are guaranteed so unless offset (new deal) is $6m GB is on hook for balance

One thing that needs to happen is getting a 21st century S&C program. The amount of soft-tissue injuries is nuts, though that's just as easily blamed on guys not doing any of those types of workouts in the off-season (preferring to increase strength and speed over flexibility and stamina) and the lack of padded workouts during the season.

I get that these guys are 'pros' but what other sport do we expect athletes to have lax practices during the week and then go 100% on game day and not suffer from having not gone 'game-speed' for a week?

Back