Money talks: Some teams attract top free agents, others don’t

You know, I've been pondering this whole udfa thing vs. compensatory picks all after noon, so I did a little digging.

The Packers compensatory picks "history" under Thompson goes as follows.
Source: http://www.packers.com/history/draft-history.html

2005 - 0 (but it was his first draft, so this this lack of comp picks is really owned by Mike Sherman)
2006 - 2 (Tony Moll/OT/5th, Dave Tollefson/DE/7th)
2007 - 1 (Clark Harris/TE/7th)
2008 - 1 (Josh Sitton/OG/4th)
2009 - 0
2010 - 1 (Marshall Newhouse/OT/5th)
2011 - 1 (Davon House/CB/4th)
2012 - 4 (Mike Daniels/DT/4th, Jerron McMillian/S/4th, Andrew Datko/OT/7th, BJ Coleman/QB/7th)
2013 - 1 (Josh Boyd/DE/5th)
2014 - 2 (Richard Rogers/TE/3rd, Jared Abbredaris/WR/5th
2015 - 2 (Christian Ringo/DL/6th, Kennard Backmon/TE/7th)
2016 - 2 (Blake Martinez/ILB/4th, Dean Lowry/DE/4th)
2017 - 0
2018 - 4 (J'Mon Moore/WR/4th, JK Scott/P/5th, Marquez Valdes-Scantling/WR/5th, Equanimeous St. Brown/WR/6th)*
* Even though Gute made the picks in 2018, the number of comp picks is attributable to Thompson.

First of all, the first 4 years or so you can argue that there weren't a lot of comp picks because he was trading down a lot, it was a very young team and they had not yet started losing veterans via free agency, or they did a really good job of keeping the veterans they had.

But when you add it all up, during Thompson's tenure as GM, the Packers averaged 1.6 comp picks per year.
So, you could deduce that ~2.5 of this years comp picks were really bonus priority udfa's based on past years averages. You could hypothetically say that Scott, MVS, and (partially) ESB were great (early) priority udfa signings by the Packers this year. ( I know..........kind of a stretch) hgh)

Also of note is some of the really bad misses that TT made with a lot of his comp picks. Almost seems like a number of them were throw away picks. bh(

Also of note is some of the really bad misses that TT made with a lot of his comp picks. Almost seems like a number of them were throw away picks.

First off, thank for for posting all of the above danno, that's really informative on comp picks. But I do have to say, regarding your comment quoted above, I had the opposite reaction to the list. TT's comp picks include 1 all-pro (Sitton), 1 pro bowler (Daniels), 3 players who spent significant time starting in the NFL (Newhouse, House and Martinez), and 2 additional legit quality contributors (Tollefson and Lowry - with a chance for Lowry to move up on the list). Not including the 2018 picks of course because they haven't played a snap, but that's a ~41% hit rate on comp picks, which I would think is pretty damn good considering the vast majority of those guys are day 3 picks. You could even argue the hit rate should be higher and include Richard Rodgers and even McMillian, but those guys I personally put on the fence because they were contributors out of team desperation rather than team preference.

Back