MM Presser 10-12-16

Crease Creature

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
McCarthy had his press conference today, and man, did he get salty as hell at the media about asking questions about the offense.

http://www.packers.com/media-center...hallenge/ecda3525-7ca2-455c-8e18-4c8266fa350d

:)29 Wilde) Mike, not in any way a knock on James, he's done a lot of good things for you, but do you think your offense is just different when, not only when Eddie's in there, but when Eddie's more like Eddie and playing like he has: knocking guys over and running the ball. Does it just change the dynamic of your offense?

MM: Well, Eddie Lacy and James Starks have two different running styles, um, and they're both very productive and you play to your players' strengths, but yes, when Eddie's playing at a high level like he was last week, it's definitely not only productive for our offense but it's uh, the attitude and the finish that you certainly want, and guys definitely respond. It gets your whole sideline going. So, uh, it's definitely something we want to build off of.

Question about identity, then the run defense, stupid question about how this week's prep might be affected by the short week next week. Question about today's practice
A few questions about rookie QBs, and then the cowboys and then Dak Prescott were followed by:

(5:28) Reporter: "Hey Mike, what do you need to do to get Aaron's completion percentage up a little higher?"

MM: "Completion percentage is a reflection of all your components in your passing game. In a matter of fact I think you have to look at the passing game, ya know, situational. To me there's two ways to throw the football, you either drop back and throw it or you do it off the action game. So, um, we were able to get into more action passes last week uh, created some more downfield throws. So, ah, you know, you look at that how it fits the run game this week. Uh, but the end of the day, we're trying to play more players, uh, in the perimeter group. Last week was our first real attempt at that. So we'll see how this week shakes out with game planning. Um, but it's, ya know, we need to spend a little more time on the passing game than we have in the past. And we're doing that particularly in our meeting structure."

(6:18 (sounds like Tom Oates)) Reporter: Mike, against the Giants, there were a number of plays where Aaron had five, six, seven, eight seconds to pass. Your line was doing a great job, but still he couldn't find anybody on some of those plays. What was going on there?

MM: Well (bluster), that's a pretty general statement. I mean, ya know, we had 400 yards of offense, so, um, I don't know why the hell I gotta come in here and answer questions about the things you think that went wrong, so, um.

Oates: I'm just saying, it's not really very, it's not normal that he can, he stand back there and (cut off)

MM: Well, I mean what was their coverage. (bluster) Did we not win separation. I mean, I thought the they actually, the Giants, left their linebacker underneath coverage, uh, did a better job than, frankly, I expected going into the game. Uh, as far as the depth, uh, it's an athletic bunch, so, I mean whether a guy didn't run a route or, you know, it's, I mean, I can't really get into specifics without getting to an exact play. So I mean there's not really a general answer to your, to the question.

Question about Perry, question about the guys coming off suspension, question about some rookies. Question about Gunter.

(10:16 (Jason Wilde)): Mike, when you made the change with Josh (Sitton) at the end of camp, um, you expressed your confidence in Lane (Taylor), and it's not like you're going to get up here and say you had any reservations, but had he not stepped up to the plate the way he has, that could have been a real issue for you guys. Was there any part of you that was just, maybe just, crossing your fingers hoping that he would be the player that you thought he could be, because you didn't have a whole lot of evidence to go on that he was going to play as well as he has.

MM: I disagree with your statement, uh, it was never an issue. You don't make decisions like that if you think it's going to be an issue. Um, so, I think it's the faith you have in your players, but, you know, but also the group. It's an offensive line group that is really what you're really pushing forward with. I think those guys are doing a great job working together. And I think, we always talk about statistics in here, I mean, the teams that play with their offensive line, you know, healthy week in and week out; that's a good football team. And statistically, that would be supported if you look that up. SO the fact that they're playing together each and every day in practice, they're practicing together, they're playing every week on Sunday, will continue to grow. So it was never a question about can Lane can do it, it was really, we felt, how we can move forward with that particular group. And so far so good.

Different reporter: Coach, when you say you're going to be spending more time on the passing game this week than in the past, what are the reasons behind that?

MM: Well, I think it's just like anything, in life or in the game of football, you get what you emphasize. So we're just going to spend some more time in the classroom, just uh, to change the meeting structure. We're talking bout an extra 15 minutes as a group together, just to make sure we're talking through... we do a lot of things, you know, as far as combined position meetings. You know, the QBs, WRs, RB, TE spend a lot of time together. The QB WRs spend a lot of time together. There are segments were the O-line and QBs are together. So just, um, trying to make sure that we're cleaning up some of the things we need to be better at.

Wilde: You think it's close, you pointed out you had 400 yards of offense, you think the passing game is close to being what you want it to be? You're seeing glimpses of it looking the way you want it to?

MM: Uh, yeah we're getting better. I mean, we're, you know, we know need to improve on a number of different things. So, uh, the competition in the (NFL) is always tight. It doesn't matter who you play or where you play them, you know, it's usually one or two or three plays that can define your overall performance or the perception (emphasis by MM) of the performance. We're in tune with that. We understand. It's a group of men that really operate with a lot of accountability. They do it publicly, and I know they definitely do it privately.* So, this is a process, this is a long year. We've done some good things throughout our football team, uh, but we're well aware of not only why we're doing things, but how we're doing things and what we need to do to get better.

question about Zeke Elliot,

*I personally would love to know who's calling out who.

I highlighted some of the more interesting stuff.

Sometimes it's hard to decipher what MM is saying. You really have to deconstruct his sentence in order to understand what he's getting at as far as if he's actually answering the question that is asked. His pressers have become comical to me.

The worse the Packers offense looks, the testier McCarthy gets. It's been an ever increasing situation that began a year ago. It was even there in the preseason, when he took umbrage with a question asked by a sideline reporter at halftime.

Coaches who act out are usually on their way out.

The worse the Packers offense looks, the testier McCarthy gets. It's been an ever increasing situation that began a year ago. It was even there in the preseason, when he took umbrage with a question asked by a sideline reporter at halftime.

Coaches who act out are usually on their way out.

You can just see his whole demeanor shift when he gets certain questions. BTW, is it Wilde who gets him so frazzled? What did Wilde do in order to get these types of reactions from MM?

Its about time the media is starting to ask these questions. MM needs to be held accountable as well as AR.

His replies are jumbled and its like he is back tracking. He does not know how to respond because he doesn't know how to fix it. Go look at his press conferences from 3 or more years ago. They are not even close to this.

He needs to go.

Wilde who gets him so frazzled? What did Wilde do in order to get these types of reactions from MM?

Today it was Tom Oates of the Wisconsin State Journal.

Wilde gets under MM's skin due to his relationship with Rodgers, methinks, and his willingness to ask the tough questions, because they're not going to freeze out the ESPN beat writer.

MM seems to be a egotisc ass who gets pissed off when anyone questions how he calls plays or makes roster moves.

(10:16 (Jason Wilde)): Mike, when you made the change with Josh (Sitton) at the end of camp, um, you expressed your confidence in Lane (Taylor), and it's not like you're going to get up here and say you had any reservations, but had he not stepped up to the plate the way he has, that could have been a real issue for you guys. Was there any part of you that was just, maybe just, crossing your fingers hoping that he would be the player that you thought he could be, because you didn't have a whole lot of evidence to go on that he was going to play as well as he has.

This has to be the dumbest question ever. Just trying to get under the coaches skin. Josh is gone. Lane has stepped up and performed better than any of us expected. He has improved every week in run blocking and his pass blocking has been great. Did he seriously ask MM if he made the move and crossed his fingers hoping it would work? Talk about passive aggressive questioning.

This has to be the dumbest question ever. Just trying to get under the coaches skin. Josh is gone. Lane has stepped up and performed better than any of us expected. He has improved every week in run blocking and his pass blocking has been great. Did he seriously ask MM if he made the move and crossed his fingers hoping it would work? Talk about passive aggressive questioning.

No kidding. What did Jason expect Mike to say? Yeah, we screwed up but thank god Lane wasn't a turnstile? :rolleyes: Sometimes reporters ask the most asinine questions and then wonder why coaches bristle at them. mute( Didn't BB get testy when he was asked inane questions last season? Good lord.

No kidding. What did Jason expect Mike to say? Yeah, we screwed up but thank god Lane wasn't a turnstile? :rolleyes: Sometimes reporters ask the most asinine questions and then wonder why coaches bristle at them. mute( Didn't BB get testy when he was asked inane questions last season? Good lord.

BB got testy yesterday.

Back