McCarthy: Lack of trust and trying to do too much affecting offense's performance

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Green Bay - The following is a summary of Packers coach Mike McCarthy's Monday press conference:

- (On Bakhtiari) I would say he has avoided a serious injury. But no medical updates. Based on way he was moving around (he doesn't appear hurt seriously).
- (On tape) The evaluation, offensively, as a whole, we put a lot of time into fundamentals, in teaching fundamentals and we feel that's the key. We're not playing to the standard we believe in. We as coaches have to get our players going better. As far as decisions on the field, we can help our players be better. The video was clear, we just left some big play opportunities on the field. We need to do a better job hitting those. We have to win one-on-one matchups and you can take that to all three phases. Coaching-wise, we're focused on playing higher level of fundamentals.
- (On frustrating part) We go through every single play together and then we go through a long process. It's getting everyone on the same page. I don't have any really buzz word to make everyone jump up and down, but we need to be better with our fundamentals.
- (On panic) I'll never panic. That's not the way you play the game, that's not the way you coach. I think to have a little fear to losing your job is healthy. To be honest, I came here after the loss to Denver and my card wouldn't swipe to open up the gate.I thought one loss and they fired me.
- (On Vikings) They're disciplined. I think Mike does an excellent job of recognizing his team's strengths.
- (On success late) We had a fast start against Lions. Our tempo was good. Our defense was good for three and a half quarters. I go back to fundalmentals. We've seen a similar defensive challenge each and every week, probably since San Diego. We need to do the little things.
- (On Janis) I really like the development of Jeff Janis. His stats are what he wuold like. He's playing well on special teams. There's a lack of experience. When something pops up he hasn't seen he has to learn from it. We'll see what happens.
- (On Rodgers) I think it's a great example, the quarterback position is the toughest in sports. Demands are extremely high. it's an 11-man game. Everything has to be in synch. From run game, pass protection, trust the protection, trust the routes. We're not as efficient. If Aaron is guilty of anything he's trying to do too much. On offense, we're chasing the game. You don't chase the game of football.
- (On one-on-one battles) Really all the same.
- (On why fundamentals breaking down) Trust and doing too much. Individuals having fundamental mistakes. Something happen over again, it's my position to change. Emphasizing things we do better is my emphasis.We need to hit hard this week.
- (On run game) We have to trust the plan. I think our players need to trust the plan. We need more opportunities.
- (On self-doubt) Two things talked to team is trust and confidence. You have to have trust in the man next to you. Our issue isn't people not doing enough. We're playing hard. It's the efficiency of our fundamentals. That was my message to the team.

Continue reading...

Back