McCarthy: Bryan Bulaga to go through padded practice Thursday

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Green Bay — The following is a summary of Packers coach Mike McCarthy's pre-practice press conference Thursday:

- (On Bryan Bulaga) Bryan Bulaga went through practice smoothly. Today will be a padded practice, so it will be good for Bryan.
- (On communication in the secondary) I think the communication has been one of the strengths for our defense this season, from Dom (Capers) all the way through to our players. ... I think our defense has communicated very well through the first four games.
- (On Todd Gurley) I think the biggest thing, particularly with ball carriers or quarterbacks, you pay attention to style. We have an idea of his running style. ... You have a big, strong, instinctive runner like Gurley. He will be a big challenge for us.
- (On Morgan Burnett) Every injury is different. The progression of his rehab is definitely increasing more and more. Until he gets to the point where the training staff puts him on the field for a full practice, that's really when I have hopes for the player to play. That being said, the players are different, the injuries are different and that's why we've always gone with the thought of giving them a full week to give it a shot.
- (On veterans playing without practicing) I think a lot of that is based on experience and so forth. Definitely history plays into that. ... That all comes down to the relationship between Morgan and the training staff and myself.
- (On the start to this season compared to 2011) I don't remember. Every season is different. Every game is different. We got off to a fast start, which is obviously the focus every year. But I think it's more important how we play in games. ... You have to find a way to win games early.
- (On B.J. Raji) Frankly, just being healthy. He's in the best shape of his career. He's always been a smart and instinctive football player. ... His yoga has really helped. I always get a kick out of him stretching out there during timeouts. It just doesn't look right out there. He's healthy. He's in the best shape of his career.
- (On Aaron Rodgers improving) I think it's the case of a great player raising to a level. Great players make players around them better. I think that's a huge, huge compliment to Aaron, just the time he spends with other players. ... The things you never read about or will ever read about. Aaron has never been fined for being late to a workout. He does everything right. ... I would say that's the difference between today and four or five years ago.
- (On Rodgers being more personable) That's probably more of a question for the locker room. Frankly, him and I used to spend a lot of time together. But life changes. Our Thursday meetings, they could go for a very long time. To answer your question, that's probably based on the relationships he has in the locker room. And I have been with him.
- (On Jeff Fisher's longevity) You talk about building a program, Jeff emulates that to the highest. The fact that he can go into Tennessee. I had an opportunity to interview with Jeff in Tennessee in 1999, and I also interviewed in Green Bay, and I just marveled. ... I left there with a very strong impression. Jeff picked me up at the airport. He spent the whole day with me. Just really impressed with him. I remember telling my father when I got back, I said, "Dad, you always talk about trusting your gut, and I think if Jeff offers me the job I have to go to Tennessee."
- (On the gunners on special teams) I think you've seen Jeff Janis, Quinten Rollins really stepping up out there. Hopefully we will get Demetri Goodson back.

Continue reading...

Back